Take the 2-minute tour ×
German Language Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for speakers of German wanting to discuss the finer points of the language and translation. It's 100% free, no registration required.

I want to say that a given application is unmaintained:

• No support,
  • No new features will ever be added,
  • Bugs will not be fixed.

Can I say "nicht erhaltet"?

Preferably a short adjective so that it fits in this list:

* AnkiWeb (als Online-Version)
* AnkiMini (nicht erhaltet)
* AnkiMobile (kostenpflichtig)
* AnkiDroid (Open Source)
share|improve this question

It should be noted that abandonware is usually used to mean software that can no longer be acquired in a legal way (because the owner/producer no longer sells it). If you still give it away, but don't provide any support then I'd suggest you avoid that term. –  Joachim Sauer Apr 2 '12 at 8:56

@JoachimSauer: The English article lists 5 types, I am in the 5th one: "Open source and freeware programs that have been abandoned: In some cases, source code remains available, which can prove a historical artifact." –  Nicolas Raoul Apr 2 '12 at 10:30

I see, my bad. Actually I've never heard that term used that way, but I might be wrong. –  Joachim Sauer Apr 2 '12 at 11:20
add comment

4 Answers 4

up vote 8 down vote accepted

What you describe sounds like the development of the software was ceased. I would use terms like "wird nicht mehr weiterentwickelt" or "Entwicklung eingestellt".

AnkMini (Entwicklung eingestellt)

share|improve this answer

Das trifft es meines Erachtens am besten. Auch wenn die anderen Übersetzungen durchaus denkbar und vielleicht wortwörtlicher sind. +1 –  0xC0000022L Apr 3 '12 at 19:55
add comment

to maintain software could be translated as Software pflegen, but it can't be simply negated, as ungepflegt has the connotation of scruffy.

ungewartet goes in the general direction, but doesn't really hit the spot.

Probably the closest translation would be nicht betreut.

Imho ungewartet doesn't really exists (not yet). (And only a few hits on google.) What about nicht gewartet (e.g. LEO propose that)? –  Em1 Apr 2 '12 at 9:12

Yes, sounds better. –  Landei Apr 2 '12 at 19:22
"wird nicht weiter gepflegt" ginge aber. –  user unknown Apr 2 '12 at 21:03
add comment

The - imho - best answer has Takkat already given (ohne/kein Support), but another possibility is:

AnkiMini (ohne Wartung)

Support combined with Software is much more common than Wartung (875 mio Hits vs 13 mio Hits), but Softwarewartung express exactly what you are looking for:

Unter Softwarewartung werden all jene Tätigkeiten verstanden, die nach der Einführung eines Softwaresystems dessen Verfügbarkeit und Nutzbarkeit sicherstellen oder die Lebensdauer der Software verlängern. Neben der Fehlerbehebung gehören die Funktionserhaltung und die Funktionserweiterung ebenso dazu wie perfektionierende Maßnahmen (z. B. Performanceverbesserung). SOURCE

add comment

Software maintenance is expressed as "Unterstützung" or sometimes "Pflege/pflegen" in German. You could therefore say:

AnkiMini (ohne Unterstützung)

However far more common is to use "Support" as this is a well established loanword from English:

AnkiMini (kein Support)

Support in the general meaning would include help, bugfixes, and upgrades.

add comment

Your Answer

discard

By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.