Take the 2-minute tour ×
German Language Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for speakers of German wanting to discuss the finer points of the language and translation. It's 100% free, no registration required.

Possible Duplicate:
How is the ending -ig pronounced, and where?

In all of my German books and several websites (as in this one), it is said that an -ig suffix it is pronounced as -ich using the /ç/. however when my German relative from Frankfurt pronounce the final g in those case as a /g/.

What is the better form to adapt to myself, or does it matter?

share|improve this question

marked as duplicate by musiKk, splattne Apr 8 '12 at 14:43

This question has been asked before and already has an answer. If those answers do not fully address your question, please ask a new question.

I would say the two common ways are like -k (zwanzik) or like -ch (zwanzich), in some region also -sch (zwanzisch) –  Em1 Apr 8 '12 at 11:17
add comment

1 Answer

There are local differences. I grew up in Graz, Austria and live in Vienna, Austria since 1997. Here in Austria only actors in Burgtheater and german immigrants say

Könich Ludwich ist nicht heilich.

(3 times with "~ich" at the end).

Austrian people say

König Ludwig ist nicht heilig.

(3 times with "~ig").

share|improve this answer

If we talk about König Ludwig (I. or II.) then we have to keep in mind that he was Bavarian. Therefore in any case Ludwig is pronounced ˈluːdvɪk. This can also be seen in towns named after him: Ludwigshafen, Ludwigsburg where the -ig is always pronounced ik. –  Takkat Apr 8 '12 at 14:42

Generell wird -ig ɪkbetont. Und das auch in Berlin :) –  kenansulayman Apr 8 '12 at 17:43

Actually, in this case "König" is pronounced "Kini", so no "ig" at all :-) –  Landei Apr 8 '12 at 19:52

@Landei: Please do not confuse non-native spreakers. "Kini" in bavarian dialect, not standard-german. –  Hubert Schölnast Apr 9 '12 at 11:13
add comment

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.