Take the 2-minute tour ×
German Language Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for speakers of German wanting to discuss the finer points of the language and translation. It's 100% free, no registration required.

Is there a method for learning German that leverages the close relationship between Dutch and German?

My main concern here is the vocabulary (many words are pronounced the same way, and mean the same thing... but some words sharing a common ancestor have a rather different meaning).

share|improve this question

Thinking of dangerous territory like "klarkommen/klaarkomen"? Sorry, no real help here :) –  Jules Apr 10 '12 at 9:29

Try Livemocha, learning German and already know Dutch. –  Gigili Apr 10 '12 at 12:14

1 Answer 1

up vote 4 down vote accepted

I don't think there is, which is probably because the close relation between Standard Dutch and Standard German is superficial at best. While Dutch as a language of the group of West German languages is closely related to Frisian and Low German, Standard German is heavily inluenced by all German dialects except Frisian, Low German and Swiss German. Standard German was actually not or rarely spoken in family life in most northern German regions, well into the 20th century.

On the comparison between Standard Dutch and Standard German, Wikipedia has this to say:

Die phonologischen, morphologischen und lexikalisch-semantischen Unterschiede zwischen dem Niederländischen und dem Standarddeutschen sind heute erheblich, was z. B. beim Wortschatz zu so genannten "falschen Freunden" geführt hat: so heißt im Niederländischen verstopt „versteckt“ und „verstopft“, monster „Probe/Muster“ und bellen „klingeln“.

Viele Begriffe, die aus der deutschen Standardsprache verschwunden sind, leben im Niederländischen fort (z. B. oorlog, lenen, kiezen, verbazen). Der niederländische Wortschatz hat die hochdeutsche Lautverschiebung nicht mitgemacht, die zum heutigen Hochdeutschen geführt hat.

In short, today's Dutch and German differ quite much, with many words and phrases sounding alike, but meaning very different things. So I'd be suprised if there was a method of learning German for Dutch native speakers, leveraging those rather treacherous similarities.

share|improve this answer

Very honest (and brutal). At least now I know what I'm getting into. Thanks! ^^ –  pepijn Apr 13 '12 at 14:40

Brutal? I hope not! :) I can't help that Standard German is more influenced by southern and eastern dialects (Luther's Bible being a major influence, and he spent most of his time in Thuringia) than by the western and northern one's. I'd love to change it if I could. Also note I'm just suspecting that there is no such learning method. With valid reasons, but still: I could be proven otherwise. –  nem75 Apr 13 '12 at 15:35

Your Answer

discard

By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.