Take the 2-minute tour ×
German Language Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for speakers of German wanting to discuss the finer points of the language and translation. It's 100% free, no registration required.

What's the German translation of "noted" in the following context:

A: Note that if you have a parenthesis outside the Mathjax immediately following a curly brace inside, the curly brace won’t display.

B: Noted.

I was told that "Ich habe es zur Kenntnis genommen" is an equivalent but the problem is it has negative connotation and means I don't care much about what you just said. Is there any equivalent in German which as short and neutral as the English one?

share|improve this question
Ich habe es zur Kenntnis genommen muss nicht negativ sein. If you want to say something very short, you can say OK :) –  Em1 Apr 10 '12 at 9:12
The translation what dict.cc gives are notiert, beachtet and vermerkt but it is unusual to say them alone. –  Em1 Apr 10 '12 at 9:15
If someone tells you something and you have to write down (not necessary on the paper, maybe just into your brain ;p) the important information for yourself, then you would take vermerken and notieren. Example if you changed the job and your boss tells you how you have to do something, then you say: Ok, ich hab's notiert/vermerkt and you mean, that you understand it and will do it like that. –  Em1 Apr 10 '12 at 9:27
AH, in case of Thank you for the tip, OK is also acceptable. Maybe Ahhhh, OK, while Ahhh is this sound that we make when we recognize something what we haven't seen before. I don't know any other very short alternative. Maybe Ja, klar or Natürlich, if you haven't noticed it before. But they are far, far away from noted, so if you want to express that, take some of the examples I mentioned above ... or wait for some ideas from the others ;p –  Em1 Apr 10 '12 at 9:42
Since all answer responds somehow to the negative connotation but no one really says the most important point, I want to add as a side note: In spoken language nearly all of the possible answers can be stressed in such a way, that they get a negative connotation, but no one of them is negative by its definition! –  Em1 Apr 10 '12 at 13:56
show 9 more comments

4 Answers

up vote 6 down vote accepted
  • A: (Bitte) beachte ...
  • B: Anything affirmative (in addition to those answers already mentioned by the previous posters):

• (affirmative grunt) non-verbal communication is a surprisingly frequent and interlingual thing...
    • (coll) Jep (or local/sociocultural variants...)
    • (coll) Mach' ich.
    • Ja.
    • Ja, danke.
    • Ja, danke für den Hinweis.
  • B: if you wouldn't have noticed without the hint:

• Oh, danke.
share|improve this answer
add comment

In a context where we also want to say that we don't really care about the previous note given, or we want to express that we already know it we can hear a short

"Schon klar."

Adding some variants with a more positive connotation that were not yet mentioned:

• Wird gemacht
  • In Ordnung
  • Ist notiert
add comment

The best translations are:

Ok.
Ok, verstanden.

This is possible, too, but is not so often used in this case:

Verstanden.

The following are possible, too, but they all have a touch of "I did hear you, but I don't care":

Ja, klar.
Schon klar.
Zur Kenntnis genommen.

add comment

I wouldn't say that "ich habe es zur Kenntnis genommen" has a negative connotation but it's a bit long. You can always say

Alles klar.

It's concise and neutral or slightly positive.

As some comments already alluded to there is also

Ok.

Verstanden. / Verstehe.

and probably a lot more.

add comment

Your Answer

discard

By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.