Take the 2-minute tour ×
German Language Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for speakers of German wanting to discuss the finer points of the language and translation. It's 100% free, no registration required.

Do Germans use words like "um" and "like" to fill their speech? "Like" is obviously used by teens in Canada, etc., but I'm sure adults say "um" when they are unsure of something while speaking.

I'm particularly interested in how Germans in Berlin and Viennese Germans say "um" and "like". Also, what are the equivalents in Hochdeutsch? And, in general, which age group uses these words?

share|improve this question

Wann sagt man denn like in Canada? When do you say like in Canada? –  user unknown Apr 25 '12 at 13:26

@userunknown Actually it's mostly a US thing, generally referred to as "valley-girl speak". Wikipedia has a good article on it. –  Benubird Apr 25 '12 at 14:03

Yes, it mostly used by tweens/teens who have a deficient vocabulary or are just too lazy to think of the appropriate word. Canada, too. I'm not sure about other English-speaking places. –  verve Apr 25 '12 at 15:48
@userunknown: There are two main usages I know of. One is just filler and doesn't really mean anything, e.g. "He's, like, a mechanic or something"; the other is to use 'was like' more or less in place of 'said': "And I was like "No way!"." –  Tara B Apr 25 '12 at 16:41
@userunknown: No, sorry, my example wasn't very good. I just wrote the first thing that came into my head. The way 'like' is used as a filler, it doesn't really mean anything more than 'um'. To illustrate that it doesn't express unsureness, a classic example would be "It's like totally the best thing ever". –  Tara B Apr 25 '12 at 18:32

8 Answers 8

While there are a lot of "translations" for um, especially by Em1, I'd like to concentrate on the like part of your question.

the most fitting word i can think of that's used as a mere filler with no meaning is halt. Often there's usage of so as well.

It's very common in kids aged up to maybe 16 or 18, especially when they're trying to formulate an opinion, or making a point in free speech. Teachers do put in quite some effort to make that word vanish.

Dann kam halt der Kontrolleur und hat halt so gesagt dass ich halt ohne Fahrschein 40 Euro zahlen soll, so. So voll unfreundlich halt.

Do not mistake this usage of halt with the Modalpartikel or even the command "halt!"

share|improve this answer

When Germans hesitate while speaking, they use the following fill-ins

• Äh
  • Äh(e)m
  • Also
  • Mhh / Hm
  • (Na) Ja

Often they are used in combination.

Ich war gestern auf der .. Ähhh .. Kirmes. (Forget what you want to say)

Und, .. ähm, ja, das ist mir jetzt echt peinlich. (Embarrassing)

Hm, na ja, was soll ich jetzt dazu sagen? (Speechlessness)

Ich war das wirklich nicht, Äh, also, ich glaub' das zumindest. (Uncertainness)

Hi, ähhhm, ich wollte dich mal fragen, ob du, ähh, Lust hast was essen zu gehen. (Nervousness)

And I don't think there is any difference in usage by different age groups.

+1 I like the "tag" you wrote on the side! If you could slowly add more as you remember them, it'd be fantastic. :D –  Alenanno Apr 25 '12 at 10:19

@Em1 The first 3 fillers are based on the English word, yes? Are they pronounced the same? Also, why does the last one have brackets? Yep, I'm a beginner in Deutsch. –  verve Apr 25 '12 at 15:54
@verve: Based on which English word? Also doesn't mean the same as 'also' in English. It's more like 'so'. –  Tara B Apr 25 '12 at 16:34

@verve: Grr, too late to edit my comment. I just realised 'so' has lots of meanings. I mean in the sense of "So, what are we going to do now", for example. –  Tara B Apr 25 '12 at 16:50

@verve Äh, Ähm are equivalent to the English Um. Also is so. Hm is again similar to Um. And Na is in brackets, because you can just say Ja and Naja. –  Em1 Apr 25 '12 at 21:15

Both @Emanuel and @schlingel mentioned "voll" as an important word in teen language.

• voll krass (germany)
  • voll arg (austria)

There are a number of such filling words as "like" in english. A quite common one is "so":

So, weist du wie ich das meine so?

Also quite often used is "quasi" and "also". Not always in the same positions, but they get so much over use, that Something is dying inside me every time I hear someone saying this.

You'll also find, that people usually have individual, favorite fill-words. I personally knew someone who used "offiziell" at least once in every sentence. And a former supervisor of mine was ending every Sentence in "...wie?", even if it didn't make sense.

Good answer. But note that "so" has already been discussed by Emanuel in his answer. –  Hendrik Vogt May 3 '12 at 7:30

There's a typo in weist, correct is weißt. –  Wolf Dec 9 at 12:04

No one speaks perfectly so everyone has to buy some time sometimes and the most used tender for this in German are "Ähhhh" or "Ähhm"... Two Germans with a considerable wealth in "Ähhh" are Boris Becker and Edmund Stoiber.

As for the like I'd say that so is quite similar. It also has a notion of comparing, even adults use it sometimes as filler and teens can write whole novels just with this... often it comes with voll

Ich war dann voll so voll sauer so und der Typ war dann halt so irgendwie voll krass komisch so... weiß ich nich'... so voll schüchtern halt

Also I use so way more than I'd need to.

Also, both can be used as verbs: And he like "really?" becomes Und er so "echt?" –  Ansgar Esztermann Apr 25 '12 at 9:19

I don't know... I have NEVER heard subject + like without verb in the way you suggest. He's like takes not more effort to pronounce and is rule-compliant so your grammar center in your brain won't crinch... I don't see why language would degrade if it does not make it much easier. Anyway... you are right about the German... the verb is omitted and that does same you some pronunciation alright. –  Emanuel Apr 25 '12 at 9:27
You've got another one in your example: 'halt' is often just filler. –  Tara B Apr 25 '12 at 12:38
Perhaps it depends where you are, but I have definitely heard halt used a lot (in north Germany) pretty much just as filler. I realise it's not just filler, but when it is used almost every sentence and sometimes more than once in the same sentence, it's at least partly filler. –  Tara B Apr 25 '12 at 12:53
@Em1 Sorry but TaraB is right. "halt" can be used as a filler and is used thus by many people quite excessively. You don't even have to go to northern Germany to experience that. Just because you haven't encountered it yet does not mean it doesn't exist. –  nem75 Apr 26 '12 at 16:02

You are asking how to translate something from "low" English to "high" German.

In the first place, these construct do not translate from "low" English to "high" English.

"Ummm ..." is a filler noise, not really a word, and "like" is also a filler to, like, generate a delay so that thought can catch up with tongue.

The German hm is also a filler noise. –  Wolf Dec 9 at 12:01

The filler word in Vienna depends on your age and social status. But a classic is "Oida" ("Alter").

Oida, die war voi schorf, Oida.

As a rule of thumb, the more you hear "Oida" in a group, the the lesser is the social status of the group. But to be exact I'd have to know which dialect of which viennese district you want to know.

There are differences between the language spoken in Meidling, Floridsdorf, Innere Stadt or Döbling - depending on the people living there.

I'm not sure about local specifics, but around the western and northern areas of Germany, "hmm" and "äh"/"ähm" are generally used in a role corresponding to "umm".

A often-used equivalent to "like" in the language of younger speakers is "so". For example, a phrase like "...and he was like, 'no way'" in that sociolect would be "...und er so, 'nie im Leben'".

Is the "so" based on the English word? –  verve Apr 25 '12 at 15:58
@verve No, but it's a typical mistake to mix that up by Germans who speak English. so [en] ≃ deshalb [de]; so [de] ≃ like that [en] –  feeela Apr 25 '12 at 16:04

Do you happen to have a pronunciation source? –  verve Apr 25 '12 at 16:08

IPA: [zoː] de.wiktionary.org/wiki/so BTW: nice example there: »Ich so: „Kommst du mal eben mit?“ Und sie nur so: „Nee.“« –  feeela Apr 25 '12 at 16:09
@jstarek: This isn't the use of 'like' that verve is asking about in the question, though. Here 'was like' is being used in place of said, rather than as filler. It can't be left out of the sentence without changing the meaning (or even without making the sentence incomplete). –  Tara B Apr 25 '12 at 16:44

Your Answer

discard

By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.