Take the 2-minute tour ×
German Language Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for speakers of German wanting to discuss the finer points of the language and translation. It's 100% free, no registration required.

Can someone share what I need to know to pass the A1 or A2 exams from Goethe Institut?

For instance, do I need to know

• all cases (nominative, accusative, dative, genitive)?
  • the past form of every verb?
  • the separable prefix ver-?
  • etc.
share|improve this question
Following the link of Takkat's answer to the related question leads also to more information about A1 and A2. Hier der Direktlink für A1 Übungsmaterial –  Em1 Apr 30 '12 at 9:47
Do you have a test of A1. See you. –  user3549 Oct 9 '13 at 22:08

Am I supposed to make sentences from the given flash cards in the German A1 exam? I have an exam this month. Can somebody please give me some info? I am very nervous... –  user5936 Apr 6 at 1:36
add comment

2 Answers 2

I have learned German starting from A1 and till C1 level. If you want to pass either of A1 or A2 exam you do not have to know a lot. At A1 level you should be able to use simple sentence structures and basic grammar and little vocabulary. This is a little description of what you should know:

After completing the A2 level, students can understand sentences and frequently used expressions related to areas of most immediate relevance (e.g. very basic personal and family information, shopping, local geography, employment). They will be able to communicate in simple tasks requiring a direct exchange of information on familiar and routine matters. Students can describe in simple terms aspects of his/her background, immediate environment and matters in areas of immediate need.

share|improve this answer
add comment

hmm.., i often read that pass A1 or A2 is easy. but when i take a look at the sample at http://www.goethe.de/lrn/prj/pba/bes/ft1/mat/enindex.htm, i think it is hard. if people have not see the above sample, and just self study from 1-2 books for 3 months, maybe he/ she will not pass. so maybe easy for someone is not same to other people :)

perhaps after i take the exam, i will try describe more in detail. example: - how many min nouns, verb or adjective you should know? - what most case ask/ use in the exam? etc...

share|improve this answer

+1 thx for the link –  Stephane Rolland Jul 21 '12 at 4:47
add comment

protected by c.p. Jun 3 at 20:36

Thank you for your interest in this question. Because it has attracted low-quality answers, posting an answer now requires 10 reputation on this site.

Would you like to answer one of these unanswered questions instead?

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.