Can someone share what I need to know to pass the A1 or A2 exams from Goethe Institut?

For instance, do I need to know

• all cases (nominative, accusative, dative, genitive)?
  • the past form of every verb?
  • the separable prefix ver-?
  • etc.

2 Answers 2

I have learned German starting from A1 and till C1 level. If you want to pass either of A1 or A2 exam you do not have to know a lot. At A1 level you should be able to use simple sentence structures and basic grammar and little vocabulary. This is a little description of what you should know:

After completing the A2 level, students can understand sentences and frequently used expressions related to areas of most immediate relevance (e.g. very basic personal and family information, shopping, local geography, employment). They will be able to communicate in simple tasks requiring a direct exchange of information on familiar and routine matters. Students can describe in simple terms aspects of his/her background, immediate environment and matters in areas of immediate need.

I often read that passing A1 or A2 is easy. I recommend to take a look at the practice material and information published by the Goethe Institute. If people have not seen the above samples, and just self study from 1-2 books for 3 months, maybe they will not pass.

So maybe what is easy for some is not same to other people.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.