Take the 2-minute tour ×
German Language Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for speakers of German wanting to discuss the finer points of the language and translation. It's 100% free, no registration required.

The title pretty much says it all.

• Knopfknob
  • Knieknee

Are there more?

share|improve this question
Viel Spaß beim Durchwühlen: wortsuche.com/starts-with-by-length/kn –  Em1 Apr 30 '12 at 16:17
I am curious: Why this kind of special question? –  0x6d64 May 1 '12 at 8:05
@Ox6d64: "Why this question? Probably because it is a "curiousity." –  Tom Au May 1 '12 at 13:52
@TomAu And tomorrow we ask for all words that begin in "pl", and the day after tomorrow ... No, seriously. I don't see any reason why that question is interesting. –  Em1 May 1 '12 at 15:19
add comment

4 Answers 4

up vote 4 down vote accepted
  • knuckle – Knöchel (generally “ankle”, but colloquially this can be used in the same sense)

There are some other cognates whose meanings have diverged over time:

• knave – Knabe
  • knight – Knecht
  • knife – Kniff
share|improve this answer
Adding words "whose meanings have diverged over time" confuses the issue. For instance, Knecht means, servant, basically the OPPOSITE of knight. I can get from Knave, a "naughty" boy to Knabe. And I'm now confused about knife and Kniff german.stackexchange.com/questions/4497/… –  Tom Au Apr 30 '12 at 23:02

@TomAu: Merriam Webster: "a mounted man-at-arms serving a feudal superior [...] from Old English cniht man-at-arms, boy, servant". Not much divergent -- rather enlightening about the deeper meaning, exactly what etymology should do. –  Peter Schneider Apr 11 at 22:10
add comment

Just one that I can spontaneously think of: Knotenknot.

add comment
  • Knollebulb/tuber
  • knüllento crumple

I don't believe it can be universally applied.

How is this an answer to the question? –  Tara B May 3 '12 at 21:47
add comment

Your Answer

discard

By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.