Take the 2-minute tour ×
German Language Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for speakers of German wanting to discuss the finer points of the language and translation. It's 100% free, no registration required.

The word I was taught for "knife" is "Messer".

But someone, who appears to be a native speaker, answered a question to the effect that "Kniff" looked like its English counterpart "knife".

Certain other Germanic languages, such as Swedish, use "kniv".

So, was "Kniff" ever an older German word for "knife", at least in some dialects, that is no longer in common use?

share|improve this question
I know Kniff as pinch and I did never associated it with knife before your post –  Emanuel Apr 30 '12 at 22:09

@Emanuel: I double-checked, and the person listed "Kniff" under words that "have diverged over time." So maybe it's wrong to say it's "knife." But in that case, he didn't answer the question, and confused me. He also associates knight with Knecht, which I believe to be "servant," not knight. –  Tom Au Apr 30 '12 at 22:18

@TomAu: You are right about Knecht. A "knight" would be "Ritter" in German. –  0x6d64 May 1 '12 at 8:02
@TomAu: But the point is that knight and Knecht originate from the same word in some old form of German. –  Tara B May 1 '12 at 8:41
@Tara: +1, that's the point. Tom: It was the English knight that used to be a lot closer to today's meaning of Knecht, see etymonline and wikipedia. –  Hendrik Vogt May 1 '12 at 9:32

1 Answer 1

up vote 8 down vote accepted

Indeed both words "knife" and "Kniff" sound very similar but their meaning is entirely different. For German we have this etymology:

• Kniff m. das Kneifen, dadurch entstandene Falte in Papier oder Stoff, Mitte des 18. Jhs. zum Verb kneifen (s. d.) gebildet. Die Bedeutung Kunstgriff, Trick, List (ebenfalls 18. Jh., doch vgl. bereits gleichbed. mnd. knēp) leitet sich von der betrügerischen Kennzeichnung von Spielkarten durch Einkneifen her. – kniffen Vb. ‘in Falten legen, falzen’ (19. Jh.).DWDS

• a) die urspr. bed. ist offenbar diebischer 'kunstgriff', diebskniff (vgl. diebsgriff 2, 1095), nd. dûvenknêp (dûve gleich hd. deube, diebstahl), diebsgriff, heimtückischer streich Brem. wb. 1, 278, Stürenb. 43b. doch könnte kniff bestimmter vom betrügerischen kneifen, kneipen der würfel und karten entstanden sein (s. kneipen II, 1, k)...Grimm

In short, the noun "der Kniff" was built from the verb "kneifen". The original meaning desribed the fraudulent folding or marking of playing cards.

The etymology of the English "knife" is somewhat unclear:

• knife (n.) late O.E. cnif, probably from O.N. knifr, from P.Gmc. *knibaz (cf. M.L.G. knif, M.Du. cnijf, Ger. kneif), of uncertain origin. To further confuse the etymology, there also are forms in -p-, e.g. Du. knijp, Ger. kneip. French canif "penknife" (mid-15c.) is borrowed from Middle English or Norse.Etymonline

So there is some discussion for a possible common etymology of "knife" from German "kneif" but the relationship is not clear.

share|improve this answer
A "Kniff" has the characteristic of having s kind of edge, just like the blade of a knife. Could there be the connection or am I just guessing there? –  0x6d64 May 1 '12 at 8:03

Sounds like "knife," "Kniff," and "Kneifen" are all "sharp," and that's what they have in common. –  Tom Au May 1 '12 at 13:49

Your Answer

discard

By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.