Take the 2-minute tour ×
German Language Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for speakers of German wanting to discuss the finer points of the language and translation. It's 100% free, no registration required.

In my mother language, Hebrew, there is a greeting especially for cases when someone gets or buys something new: תתחדש. Is there something similar in German? If not, what will you say to someone who, for example, just got a haircut or bought a new car?

share|improve this question
I think we need to know what "תתחדש" means. –  Gigili May 1 '12 at 19:53

Google translate says תתחדש means "resume". If that is right, how to interpret it? –  Em1 May 1 '12 at 20:33

I would have translated it literally more like: "Wieder auf ein Neues" but this can not be used in the same context in German. –  Takkat May 1 '12 at 20:36
If someone got a haircut, my usual response is "Do you need a good lawyer?", "Which profession has your hairdresser?" or "Don't worry, it will grow again..." –  Landei May 2 '12 at 20:50
Alter Kack im neuen Frack. :) No pun intendet. –  user unknown May 3 '12 at 2:28

2 Answers 2

up vote 6 down vote accepted

The usual case in German would be to just say something positive about the new acquaintance like e.g.

"Oh, schöne Frisur hast Du heute." - "Deine neue Frisur steht Dir ausgesprochen gut."
"Das ist aber ein schickes Auto!"

Or we put it in a question:

"Ist die Jacke neu?" - "Warst Du beim Friseur?"

There is not a common expression for this. But we do sometimes hear a proverb in that context:

"Alles neu macht der Mai!"

This is a quote from a traditional song by Adam v. Kamp (1818) but it is a bit outdated and not so widely used.

share|improve this answer

You probably recognize the new purchase/acquisition with a cheerful question like:

"Neues Auto?", "Neue Frisur?", "Neuer Laptop?", "Neue Frau?"

share|improve this answer
You should not use "Neue Frau", unless You know exactly that Your company can handle that remark ;) –  Black May 13 '12 at 17:04

Your Answer

discard

By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.