Take the 2-minute tour ×
German Language Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for speakers of German wanting to discuss the finer points of the language and translation. It's 100% free, no registration required.

"Based on a True Story" is a sentence that is shown before or after films and television shows to inform the viewers that the program is adapted from real events.

What is the translation of this phrase to German?

share|improve this question

I wonder where is @User uknown to do his duty, isn't this general reference? –  Gigili May 7 '12 at 14:00

@Gigili Acutally, you're right. I found the answer on page one of the Google search result to "based on a true story german". Therefore, voted to close the question as general reference. –  Em1 May 7 '12 at 15:16
add comment

closed as off topic by splattne May 13 '12 at 14:47

Questions on German Language Stack Exchange are expected to relate to German language within the scope defined by the community. Consider editing the question or leaving comments for improvement if you believe the question can be reworded to fit within the scope. Read more about reopening questions here.If this question can be reworded to fit the rules in the help center, please edit the question.

1 Answer

up vote 13 down vote accepted

What dict.cc says is correct:

"nach einer wahren Geschichte" or "nach einer wahren Begebenheit"

share|improve this answer
Personally, I like the 2nd variant with "Begebenheit" better (which is not on dict.cc!). –  Hendrik Vogt May 6 '12 at 15:52
Indeed. "wahre Geschichte" sounds a bit like an oxymoron. –  Erik May 6 '12 at 22:03

How so? I feel there are more Geschichten that aren't wahr than Begebenheiten that aren't wahr. –  René Nyffenegger May 8 '12 at 8:43
add comment

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.