Take the 2-minute tour ×
German Language Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for speakers of German wanting to discuss the finer points of the language and translation. It's 100% free, no registration required.

A few months ago I bought an old book, it was printed in ~1801 and it has a name entry (?) at the first page.

http://saved.im/mtg3njc0c2i2/dscn4301.jpg

Anybody can fully read that? I personally cannot. What I think:

... ... Auktion im Jahr 1813. ... ... Expedition ... Lit. Zeitung ...

Anyone see more than that?

Thanks!

share|improve this question

Oh, thanks to the person editing my post (with the image for example), I didnt know where to put it and I also didnt knew any other tags to give. Thanks! –  ceo Jun 10 '12 at 20:37

1 Answer 1

as far as i can read it:

Aus der Auktion im Jahr 1813
von der Expedition der Lit. Zeitung
gehalten

if it's verb it's strange because it should end with n or t and I see none of it.

share|improve this answer

Thanks, that kind of makes sense to me, though I still cant decipher most of that even with that hint. And I always saw the last word as something to end with a u or a w, but that would be strange too. –  ceo Jun 10 '12 at 20:21

Sure it is 1813 and not 1819? –  user unknown Jun 11 '12 at 1:59

I think you've nailed it spot on. And the last word does end with an "n". You can see the two bumps for the "n" with a fancy swirl as a tail, similar to the "von" at the beginning of the second line or the swirl on "im" before "Jahr" on the first line. –  Kevin Jun 11 '12 at 4:08

Here's a translation to clarify doubts: "From the auction held by the dispatch of the "Lit. Zeitung" in the year 1813" –  Takkat Jun 11 '12 at 9:00

Your Answer

discard

By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.