Take the 2-minute tour ×
German Language Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for speakers of German wanting to discuss the finer points of the language and translation. It's 100% free, no registration required.

I'm told a way to recognize the appropriate case is the following:

Ich gab Ihm einen Kuss = Dativ; wem gab ich einen Kuss= Ihm

I'm having a hard time understanding how this helps. It actually helps when you know the correct answer! Otherwise how you would know you should ask "wem gab ich einen Kuss" and not "wen gab ich einen Kuss", for instance?

share|improve this question
add comment

2 Answers

up vote 5 down vote accepted

I'm guessing this advice ist aimed at native speakers trying to learn the concept of cases and their names.

share|improve this answer

no... you can find many books and web sources designed for non natives learners of German. –  Emanuel Jun 11 '12 at 22:02
add comment

If you don't know that the correct question for the sentence

Ich gab ihm einen Kuss.

is

Wem gab ich einen Kuss?

then it doesn't help you, as you pointed out already.

If you do though, it helps in that it is much easier determining the case on basis of the interrogative particle "wem" than on the basis of all kinds of pronouns, which are much more diverse.

share|improve this answer

Wem seine Antwort ist das? Dem nem75 seine Antwort. :) –  user unknown Jun 12 '12 at 1:40

Was für eine Antwort ist das? Die richtige, aber nicht akzeptierte. Ach ja ... –  nem75 Jun 12 '12 at 7:09

Eine zwar richtige, aber leicht verspätete Antwort. –  Gigili Jun 13 '12 at 17:04
add comment

Your Answer

discard

By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.