Take the 2-minute tour ×
German Language Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for speakers of German wanting to discuss the finer points of the language and translation. It's 100% free, no registration required.

There is an epigraph, poem or similar, where something like

Der Tod ist die letzte Feste dem Freien, deren Tor immer offen steht.

is written (but unfortunately I do not remember the details). What is the title/author/accurate text of that epigraph/poem/..., please? (I suspect the author to be Ernst Jünger, but this is just a wild guess.)

Olaf's answer was not the text I thought about, but it is interesting to see this, thanks! When were both texts created? Did the second writer know the first text? But before answering those questions, I would first like to get the correct citation of the quote above.

share|improve this question
add comment

1 Answer 1

You've probably googled quite a bit, with no results, so let me add another wild guess to yours.

Wolfgang Borchert, who was born after Ernst Jünger and died before him and who created remarkable stuff in his short life, wrote a drama named Draussen vor der Tür in which in Szene 5 Beckmann and the Straßenfeger (road sweeper) - who is the death - meet.

Their words don't really match those in your question, but there is a resemblance in the tone:

BECKMANN: Tod, Tod, laß mir die Tür offen. Tod, mach die Tür nicht zu. Tod –

STRASSENFEGER: Meine Tür steht immer offen. Immer. Morgens. Nachmittags. Nachts. Im Licht und im Nebel. Immer ist meine Tür offen.

And so on. Maybe that's what you remembered?

share|improve this answer

would have been my guess to. –  blindfold Jun 30 '12 at 10:37
add comment

Your Answer

discard

By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.