Take the 2-minute tour ×
German Language Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for speakers of German wanting to discuss the finer points of the language and translation. It's 100% free, no registration required.

How would I say phrases like the following in German:

A: Woah, did you delete your one-year-old account?

B: Yes, and I am awesome like that*.

Or

C: What a nice question, how come it got a close-vote?

B: Well, people are silly like that.

By "I am awesome like that" I mean I did something that shows how awesome I am or I am pointing out something about myself that I consider to be a good quality.

share|improve this question
"and I am awesome like that": What do you mean by that, is it: "this is how I roll!" or "and I'm still awesome without my account!" (or sth. different)? –  0x6d64 Jun 13 '12 at 16:46

As in "I usually do weird things" and "people are usually silly when it comes to voting". The point it "usually", I guess. –  Gigili Jun 13 '12 at 16:55

Regarding your first part: I guess "I am awesome like that" is a way to prevaricate answering a question which they can't or don't want to answer. A common method of Germans is to answering a "Warum?" question with "Weil ich es kann." - Example: "Warum hast du deinen Account gelöscht? - "Weil ich es kann." –  Em1 Jun 14 '12 at 13:04

Regarding your second part: There are two ways. Either you don't worry about that the question was closed then you will just say some along: "Weil Menschen nunmal so sind." or you feels hurt (maybe it's your own question, which has been closed) then you will stroppily answer: "Weil die (halt) doof/blöd sind." –  Em1 Jun 14 '12 at 13:08

Those two comments were very helpful, thank you @Em1. –  Gigili Jun 14 '12 at 16:11
add comment

2 Answers

up vote 8 down vote accepted

I would translate it like that:

A: Wow, hast Du Dein 1 Jahr altes Konto gelöscht?

B: Ja, weil ich halt so geil/cool/genial/... bin. (hopefully in an ironic meaning!)

and

C: Das war so eine gute Frage, warum wurde sie geschlossen?

B: Naja, die Leute sind halt so blöd.

share|improve this answer

So, what's the role of "halt" there? Could you elaborate? –  Gigili Jun 13 '12 at 16:55

@Gigili It's a word mostly used in statements that means that the statement is pretty much common knowledge or self-evident. "It's like that, what can you do about it?" translates to "So ist es halt, was kann man da schon machen?". A shrug gesture is often added to it to enforce the sentiment. –  Hackworth Jun 13 '12 at 17:01

Got it, thank you. –  Gigili Jun 13 '12 at 17:03
@Gigili Modalpartikel ist das Stichwort –  Em1 Jun 13 '12 at 20:42

@Em1: Thank you. –  Gigili Jun 14 '12 at 8:50
add comment

A: Woah, hast du deinen 1 Jahr alten Account gelöscht?

B: Ja, ich bin halt so cool.

and

C: Was für eine gute Frage, warum wurde Sie geschlossen?

D: Naja, (die) Leute sind halt Deppen.

share|improve this answer
Ebenfalls? Deswegen? Verstehe ich beides nicht. Die Frage soll gut gewesen sein - die Leute könnten allenfalls ebenfalls gut sein, folglich. Anstelle von Deswegen vielleicht "wie man sieht/wie Du siehst". Das "war" im Satz davor impliziert, dass die Frage nicht mehr geschlossen ist - bei einem fiktiven Beispiel nicht bestreitbar, aber auch das wirkt seltsam. "Das war 'ne gute Frage. Warum wurde sie geschlossen?" wäre das, was man erwarten würde. –  user unknown Jun 14 '12 at 12:43
... und ein Account ist nicht "ein Jahr lang" ;) –  Em1 Jun 14 '12 at 12:56

Versteh, i hab nur die Woerter schnell zusammen geworfen; bin eh nicht so gut in uebersetzten :-) –  Andreas Jun 14 '12 at 16:23

@Andreas Then revise your answer, please. Currently I'm inclined to down-vote that answer. All four sentences does have a lack of grammar or even sounds very odd. –  Em1 Jun 14 '12 at 21:19

@Em1 dont ruin my life by down-voting me! –  Andreas Jun 15 '12 at 5:40
show 4 more comments

Your Answer

discard

By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.