Take the 2-minute tour ×
German Language Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for speakers of German wanting to discuss the finer points of the language and translation. It's 100% free, no registration required.

Would "mein Schatz" be used between platonic male and female friends or is there a romantic connotation?

share|improve this question

Please explain what you mean by platonic friends. A platonic relationship can be platonic love. –  nem75 Jun 18 '12 at 9:57

Prostitutes say "Mein Schatz" to create a seemingly relaxed atmosphere, I heard :) –  TheBlastOne Jun 22 '12 at 6:09
add comment

2 Answers 2

The common usage of "Mein Schatz" is reserved for people either in a romantic or in a family relationship (most common mother -> child).

Though, you will also hear "Du bist ein Schatz" even when people are only in an acquaintanceship when someone did a very helpful action.

Example 1: You know a person from sports. You see them every week once, but do not have any further activities together. One day you do a favor to them and the person is very thankful. Thus, they say: "Du bist ein Schatz".

Example 2: Someone is having some problems (whatever they are), and they know that you can give them any advice. They ask you, you listen to them and advice them what they can do. Because they are very thankful for your advice they will finish the conversation by "Du bist ein Schatz".

The only condition is, of course, that they like you. If you're in the doghouse such an action would increase your reputation, but they will only say "Thank you".

Last but not least, sometimes very good friends will say "Mein Schatz" to each other, but that's meant in a slight ironic way. ;)

share|improve this answer

I think this answer covers all aspects of the word, +1! –  0x6d64 Jun 17 '12 at 9:50

Too small an edit for me: "hear", not "here" (I hate "Here, here!" if people mean "Hear, hear!" (german: "Hört, hört!")) –  Jürgen A. Erhard Jun 22 '12 at 0:21

@JürgenA.Erhard Thanks, haven't seen that. –  Em1 Jul 4 '12 at 9:02

Thanking someone by telling them they are "ein Schatz" ist unacceptable in more formal and business situations (you wouldn't use it to thank an uncommonly helpful sales clerk). You would only use "Schatz" with people that you are very familiar and friendly with. As a simple rule, only use it, when you address the other person with "Du", don't use it, when you use "Sie". –  user1914 Sep 1 '12 at 8:01
add comment

"Mein Schatz" is used for lovers (and sometimes for babies and lapdogs). You wouldn't use it for platonic friends.

In Vienna, some people call their friends "Schatzi". With a little irony.

You can call your friend "mein Lieber" or "meine Liebe". ("lieb" with the meaning of "dear", not "beloved")

share|improve this answer
add comment

Your Answer

discard

By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.