Take the 2-minute tour ×
German Language Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for speakers of German wanting to discuss the finer points of the language and translation. It's 100% free, no registration required.

Is Duolingo regarded as a good way to being learning German? Given the emphasis on learning by translation, which I've heard mixed opinions about, I was wondering if people believed this was a good or not so good method before I commit any sort of time to it?

share|improve this question

closed as not constructive by splattne Aug 1 '12 at 6:33

As it currently stands, this question is not a good fit for our Q&A format. We expect answers to be supported by facts, references, or expertise, but this question will likely solicit debate, arguments, polling, or extended discussion. If you feel that this question can be improved and possibly reopened, visit the help center for guidance.If this question can be reworded to fit the rules in the help center, please edit the question.

add comment

1 Answer

I've recently tried Duolingo. I'm an intermediate German learner, but I started at the beginning of their process, just to follow it through and see what it would be like. While very basic at present, I find it a very enjoyable alternative and reinforcement tool. When I posted some German at the end of one of the sessions, I amazingly got 8 or 9 people responding to my post with suggestions and corrections and all of them were pleasant and supportive comments. No spammers or 'jerks' out there. I have also tried the text translation aspect. It's a bit clunky, as they seem to be literally 'scarping' stuff off the internet to be translated, so lots of it is out of context, incomplete, etc. But, the good thing is you get to pick and choose what you attempt, etc. and you get feedback. So, all-in-all... I think Duolingo is a worthwhile addition to anything else you might be using for your German learning. Standalone? It won't get you there, but it's a help and it's fun, which I think is important to the overall learning process and keeping you motivated

share|improve this answer
add comment

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.