Take the 2-minute tour ×
German Language Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for speakers of German wanting to discuss the finer points of the language and translation. It's 100% free, no registration required.

I can understand German when I read it, so I started watching Mad Man tv series with German subtitles, and put the show on mute. However, I used to write new words in a two columns Microsoft Word document. I would then try to learn this words.

However, is there any software which could also give me tests based on this words, and make the whole experience easier?

share|improve this question

5 Answers 5

I really advise the use of Mnemosyne or Anki.

"Spaced Repetition" is really effective. The softwares mostly test the words (cards) you know the less, until you know them well, and then they test more rarely the words you do really know.

All is based on a self estimation for each tested word (card). The longer part is to fill the flash cards with your own proper words, sentences, rules what you want...

But it's really worth the effort.

share|improve this answer

Apart from repetitive software (I agree about Anki and Mnemosyna mentioned by @Stephane-Rolland )

I recommend to support it with Mnemonics (cheack out "see also" with other mnemonic systems).

I have good logical memory, so I like to take advantage of my logic memory, by remembering word relationships. For such purposes, I really recommend you Mindmapping techniques. My favourite software (because it's most efficient amoung other, when you learn just few key shortcuts) is Freemind (btw. it's Opensource and Crossplatform).

+1 for the Mindmap softwares... it's been months I am searching for one, and it having your preference, I'm really incline to give it a try. –  Stephane Rolland Aug 14 '12 at 17:55

@StephaneRolland happy to hear I could help. When trying Freemind, I really encourage to learn basic keyboard shortcuts. Freemind is Mindmapping software that needs a fewest keystrokes to achieve effect. –  Grzegorz Wierzowiecki Aug 14 '12 at 18:21

I've never tried it, but there is a free one you could try:

Interlex - The free Vocabulary Builder

Btw, I found it using this search on Google.

• Buy an Archos 28 (Cheapest mobile device I found with anki mobile support)
  • Install Anki application on your desktop computer

• Use a combination of the following to get your words

• Forvo.com = natives say the words for you
    • Google images = correspond images to german words (no english!)
    • A dictionary website of choice (dict.cc recommended)
    • Lang-8.com = Corrections from natives
  • Install the anki mobile app on your archos device

• Sync your anki desktop deck to the anki website, and Dropbox
  • Sync from Dropbox to your Archos mobile device

You can now consolidate the words you want to learn from your desktop or from the anki website, keep it all in sync with your Dropbox account, then sync to your mobile device and revise words on the fly in your daily life (on toilet / drunk in bar / eating lunch)

This method is really working for me.

I had been using a very simple word reminder software of a single executable. It is free.

It has web interface to add words and then this software fetches from the site and displays one by one every 5 minutes.

Here is the link.

http://vikku.info/wordreminder/en/

Is this software able to handle German special characters like äöüÄÖÜß? From their German localization I don't get the impression they do. –  Takkat Jun 28 '13 at 18:04

also it says: "hich reminds you the English language words" that kinda excludes german. –  Vogel612 Jul 1 '13 at 8:56

Your Answer

discard

By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.