Take the 2-minute tour ×
German Language Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for speakers of German wanting to discuss the finer points of the language and translation. It's 100% free, no registration required.

While playing a computer game, I noticed that German soldiers exclaim a phrase which I cannot correctly write but what I hear looks something like "Beawiren Angegassen! Zehst zeveloog!" I do not know German so I have no guess what it could be or whether I wrote correctly. Can you please help me to understand?

share|improve this question

closed as too localized by RegDwight Aug 16 '12 at 9:32

This question is unlikely to help any future visitors; it is only relevant to a small geographic area, a specific moment in time, or an extraordinarily narrow situation that is not generally applicable to the worldwide audience of the internet. For help making this question more broadly applicable, visit the help center.If this question can be reworded to fit the rules in the help center, please edit the question.

Looks challenging. Maybe you can simply use a search engine to maybe get all the used voice output if you search for the name of the game? –  Shi Aug 14 '12 at 7:22
The second word could be "angeschossen". However, which game is it? In which situation it's said? –  Em1 Aug 14 '12 at 7:32
Maybe something like: ??? angeschossen! Schiesst zurück! In the beginning it might be "Wir werdern beschossen!" –  Korinna Aug 14 '12 at 7:50

@Korinna: Wow, ich bin beeindruckt! O_O +1! –  Mac Aug 14 '12 at 8:22
Sounds more like Dutch to me... –  Geziefer Aug 15 '12 at 10:48
show 3 more comments

2 Answers 2

up vote 1 down vote accepted

Best match:

Wir werden angeschossen! Zieht euch zurück!

Translation:

We get shot! Withdraw!

Discussion:

"Wir werden angeschossen" is grammatically correct, but it is not the best way to describe what is happening in this situation. "Jemanden anschießen" ("shoot somebody") means that (at least) one person is wounded (but not killed) by a bullet. It could have been only one single shoot that was fired and hit one of us. Bang! - Hit! - Nothing else. So this does not sound like a situation where you have to withdraw.

Better would be: "Wir werden beschossen." ("We are under fire."). This means, that somebody is firing many bullets in our direction (and keeps shooting), but it does not say that somebody was hit (it is possible, this sentence gives no information about it). In this situation (many bullets are flying through the air) it might be a good idea to withdraw.

share|improve this answer
add comment

I suppose that computer game is a US production. So maybe the German voice was spoken by a person who is not a native speaker. Also, maybe the choice of words and the grammar aren't 100 % right.

It could be something like this:

Wir werden angegriffen! Zieht [euch] zurück!

which translates to

We're under attack! Pull back!

A different interpretation:

Wir werden angeschossen [actually: beschossen]! Schießt zurück!

which means

We're under fire! Shoot back!

share|improve this answer
add comment

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.