Take the 2-minute tour ×
German Language Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for speakers of German wanting to discuss the finer points of the language and translation. It's 100% free, no registration required.

It can be seen as body tattoos or written on the cake hanging in the neck of pretty girls serving beer, for example at Oktoberfest. See pictures here.

My guess would be that Hex refers to witch (Hexe), although I am not quite sure what happened to the -e, perhaps it's simply dropped (like in ich hab).

What does the adjective mean?

share|improve this question
add comment

1 Answer

up vote 9 down vote accepted

Kloane Hex

is

Kleine Hexe

in bavarian German.

It is used in parts of Austria as well (according to comment in southern parts of Lower-Austria).

share|improve this answer
It's Bavarian, not Austrian. In Austria "klane Hex" (without o between k and a) is more common. You also find "klans Hexi", "klanes Hexi" and "klan(e)s Hexerl". - It all means "little witch" and is a pet name for young girls and young ladies. –  Hubert Schölnast Sep 9 '12 at 13:57

@HubertSchölnast Thanks for the addition. –  Baz Sep 9 '12 at 13:58
@HubertSchölnast: Austrian German is a Bavarian language. I'd say there is not much difference between kloan and klaan from a linguistic view. –  Takkat Sep 9 '12 at 14:41

+1 and thanks. Had a good laugh :) –  Ali Sep 9 '12 at 15:26
I've heard the use of "kloane" also in Styria, Burgenland and the southern parts of Lower-Austria. So the assumption that this term is not used in Austria (as opposed to only in Bavaria) being wrong, is wrong. It's just not used in all of Austria. –  MacLemon Sep 29 '12 at 17:17
show 1 more comment

Your Answer

discard

By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.