Sign up ×
German Language Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for speakers of German wanting to discuss the finer points of the language and translation. It's 100% free, no registration required.

I looked into my German dictionary but could not find this noun. There is a similar verb though.

I wonder what this word could mean? Could it be a personal name?

share|improve this question

closed as not constructive by Baz, Hubert Schölnast, Takkat, Em1, Emanuel Sep 27 '12 at 16:28

As it currently stands, this question is not a good fit for our Q&A format. We expect answers to be supported by facts, references, or expertise, but this question will likely solicit debate, arguments, polling, or extended discussion. If you feel that this question can be improved and possibly reopened, visit the help center for guidance.If this question can be reworded to fit the rules in the help center, please edit the question.

No context - no answer. –  Hubert Schölnast Sep 24 '12 at 19:26
I agree on the context... I was about to close it but then I read Olafs answer which was really interesting so maybe just improve your question please ... –  Emanuel Sep 25 '12 at 17:12
Stackexchange is partly a wiki - why don't we improve the question? –  Olaf Sep 26 '12 at 5:18
@Olaf If there were anything to improve the question, yes. But these questions have a huge lack. It's not our part to show research effort. It's not our part to add context. Please go on ELU and ask "What does the word "crample" mean. If you're lucky someone will notice that "crumple" and "crumble" exists, but please count the minutes until your questions is closed as "not a question" or "too localized". –  Em1 Sep 27 '12 at 7:14
@Emanuel We can still close the question. No, we still have to close the question. This does not affect Olaf's answer at all. It only prevents of other guesswork and I'm pretty sure there won't be any better answer than that one since we still don't have any context. –  Em1 Sep 27 '12 at 7:18

2 Answers 2

up vote 16 down vote accepted

Actually, "Darbiet" does have a meaning. It is a special grammatical form of "darbieten" called "Inflektiv" (I looked for an English translation but could not find one). It is, however, not a noun.

If you read this, for example, in a German comic, it might have been used to describe a scene with additional words hovering near the acting person (like "sigh" or "cough"). In this case, "darbiet" could mean something like "act" (or "offer") and emphasize the image.

Update: I have asked about an English translation for Inflektiv on, but they didn't come up with an obvious translation. It's nonetheless interesting to read.

share|improve this answer
Da würden sogar viele Muttersprachler Probleme beim Verstehen haben. Den Comic kannste dann direkt in die Mülltonne schmeissen seufz ;) Nichtsdestotrotz, deine Feststellung ist richtig. –  Em1 Sep 25 '12 at 14:43
wow... ich kenne das natürlich aus Comics auch aber ich wäre NIE drauf gekommen und finde es fanszinierend dass es da einen Fachterminus für gibt :) Danke Olaf!!! –  Emanuel Sep 25 '12 at 16:55
Ich finde es trotzdem schlecht, dass Anixx immer wieder solche Fragen ganz ohne jeden Kontext stellt und uns herumrätseln lässt. –  Hubert Schölnast Sep 25 '12 at 17:42
@HubertSchölnast Wir haben eigentlich genug Leute, die für close voten können. Diesmal sind wir immer hin schon auf 4 Stimmen gekommen. Schade, dass unsere Moderator die Fragen nicht sofort schließen... –  Em1 Sep 27 '12 at 7:08

"Darbiet" doesn't mean anything, but

  • "Darbietung" (noun) - a performance, a presentation, or

  • "Darbieten" (verb) - to perform, to present, to offer.

share|improve this answer

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.