Take the 2-minute tour ×
German Language Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for speakers of German wanting to discuss the finer points of the language and translation. It's 100% free, no registration required.

If I say "Ja klar", What are the different meanings expressed by this expression?

share|improve this question
Depending on context and tone this can mean everything from "I agree and understand" over "I know and don't care" to "I don't believe you"... –  cgnieder Sep 26 '12 at 16:54

exactly, I would like to understand it's meaning assuming different contexts and mood of person. Can you please elaborate it and add it as answer. thanks. –  Saar Sep 26 '12 at 18:24

3 Answers 3

up vote 11 down vote accepted

I think that there are three main meanings for this expression.

1. First and more literal one is one you want to say that you agree with what the other people just said.
  2. When you want to say that what the other people said is obvious and unnecessary.
  3. In a sarcastic way when you want to say what the other people said is just no sense.
share|improve this answer

The meanings are quite the same as of its verbatim translation

Yes, of course.

As in English, it depends on the context if it should be interpreted literally or ironic. And as in English, if you hear this answer, there are situations where you can't be shure if it is meant literally or ironic.

Ja, klar. <!-- mehr als 10 Zeichen Gymnastik --> –  user unknown Sep 28 '12 at 4:28

It means "But of course..." and then the speaker says more on the subject. It is usually in response to a question requiring a confirmation.

First of all, But of course isn't necessarily followed by any further context. Secondly, this expression - afaik - doesn't have any additional negative expression as Ja, klar, thus I consider But of course equally to the German Aber natürlich or Aber selbstverständlich. But of course it can also be used to introduce any obvious opposite as in this sentence. –  Em1 Oct 4 '12 at 7:52

Your Answer

discard

By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.