Take the 2-minute tour ×
German Language Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for speakers of German wanting to discuss the finer points of the language and translation. It's 100% free, no registration required.

Most of the online free resources I found are for beginners and does not provide much information. Is there any more comprehensive resource covering from beginner to advanced level?

share|improve this question

closed as off topic by Baz, Emanuel, Em1, Hubert Schölnast, Kurt Oct 14 '12 at 15:12

Questions on German Language Stack Exchange are expected to relate to German language within the scope defined by the community. Consider editing the question or leaving comments for improvement if you believe the question can be reworded to fit within the scope. Read more about reopening questions here.If this question can be reworded to fit the rules in the help center, please edit the question.

It would be helpful for people to know which resources you found to not provide much information, so they won't be suggested to you again. Also, you could add a bit more of information on what you expect. –  k.stm Oct 9 '12 at 11:08

I have tried GermanPod101, duolingo, BBC, and some other random stuff from internet. I would like to know more about German grammar. –  LittleSweet Oct 9 '12 at 19:24

2 Answers 2

up vote 1 down vote accepted

You are right, the dominant type of material out there on the web is beginner and/or very poor quality. I have used GermanPod101 extensively.They have lots of intermediate material and some advanced dialogues. You can also use SlowGerman.com podcasts for listening comprehension practice. I've used Yabla.com at times and, of course, free language exchange via Skype or other is very good. Look at MyLanguageExchange, iTalki, Busuu, etc.

You can't go past About.com's About.German. They have lots of lessons and lots of good special sections on grammar. There's a fantastic podcast series called GermanGrammarPod the literally dissects German grammar point for point. It's excellent, but very dry... you have to really be ready for it. But it is something I go back to time and again. Really good stuff!

Some of what I've listed above is not 'free'... but none of it is expensive. For example, you can get all of the GermanPod101 material to date for a one month premium subscription. If you download all the podcasts to your iTunes (or whatever), you can hen not renew and it's yours! If you are new to them, it will take you months to get through their material!

I have recently started a website I'mLearningGerman.com to try and help people looking for good material. It's early days yet, so not a lot there. But please consider checking in with it, as over time it will build up and hopefully become and honest home for quality help for people like you looking to learn German online. That's my commitment!

share|improve this answer

Looked at http://www.duolingo.com? I like it for French, and have done a bit of the German and Spanish as well. Gamification, reminders, following people. Addictive learning.

(No affiliation. Just a happy user.)

share|improve this answer

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.