Take the 2-minute tour ×
German Language Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for speakers of German wanting to discuss the finer points of the language and translation. It's 100% free, no registration required.

What is the German equivalent to the idiom under someone's thumb.

Even if not exactly, is there any phrase having similar meaning?

share|improve this question
add comment

3 Answers 3

up vote 7 down vote accepted

You would say (jemanden) unter der Fuchtel haben as an equivalent figurative expression.

For the record:

Die Fuchtel ist ein Degen mit breiter Klinge. Schläge mit der flachen Seite der Fuchtel waren eine übliche Strafe im preußischen Heer. [The Fuchtel is a rapier/sword with a wide blade. Blows with the flat side of the Fuchtel was a customary punishment in the Prussian army.]

share|improve this answer
Die "Fuchtel" ist ein breiter Kurz-Degen (auch "Rauf-Degen" genannt). Unteroffiziere und Kadetten wurden bestraft, indem man ihnen mit der flachen Klinge der Fuchtel auf den Rücken schlug. Die unteren Chargen standen also "unter der Fuchtel" der Offiziere. –  Hubert Schölnast Oct 21 '12 at 10:07

Schöne Erklärung! Danke. –  Kevin Oct 21 '12 at 16:29

It should be noted that this is not a common phrase in all of Germany. I would guess that you will find quiet a few (especially younger) people that doesn't know what is meant. –  Martin Thurau Mar 5 '13 at 10:30
add comment

Unter dem Pantoffel von jmd. stehen.

Good additional answer. I would add that this one to me has a little narrower context as in between a husband and wife, not something I would use in general. –  Kevin Oct 21 '12 at 16:27
I agree with @Kevin. Assuming hroptatyr also agrees, I'd appreciate if you could incorporate these thoughts into your answer. –  Em1 Oct 21 '12 at 18:31
add comment

Neben Pantoffel (vornehmlich im Hausgebrauch) und der bereits genannten Fuchtel spielt auch die Knute diese Rolle. Hier ein ngram-Vergleich. Laut Wikipedia ist die Knute eine Peitsche, und als solches ein Kommunikationsinstrument - wir sind doch ein Kommunikationsfreudiges Völkchen! ;)

add comment

Your Answer

discard

By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.