Take the 2-minute tour ×
German Language Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for speakers of German wanting to discuss the finer points of the language and translation. It's 100% free, no registration required.

I have been trying to find information regarding toasts however I am just starting my studying of German. I would like to be able to toast the Old Nordic gods when I have drink, but lack of knowledge has prevented me from finding a concrete answer and as always Google Translate is almost worthless for German.

share|improve this question

There is a risk that toasting to Nordic or Germanic Gods will be frowned upon in Germany coming from the (Neo-)Nazi affection to Germanic mythology. –  Takkat Oct 26 '12 at 19:31

That is why I wanted to know what "the old gods" meant instead of Nordic gods, because it actually is more accurate to me. As per the frowning upon I am not so sure about I would have to ask my friend from Germany about that. Thanks for the tip! –  Necromnius Oct 28 '12 at 7:12
add comment

1 Answer

up vote 3 down vote accepted

If you would say a toast to Odin, just say:

Auf Odin!

while you rise your glass.

If you would like to say a toast to the old gods, say:

Auf die alten Götter!

share|improve this answer

And if I wanted to say Nordic it would be Nordischen correct? –  Necromnius Oct 26 '12 at 11:31
Yes. But be aware that nordic gods (nordische Götter) and celtic gods (keltische Götter) and germanic gods (germanische Götter) are not the same gods! And "old gods" can also be aegyptan, greec, roman, hebrew or many other gods! But this is off topic. –  Hubert Schölnast Oct 26 '12 at 11:41

All the old gods would suffice, if I wanted to get specific I could specify them specifically by name, otherwise the old gods will be just fine, thanks! –  Necromnius Oct 28 '12 at 7:14
add comment

Your Answer

discard

By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.