Take the 2-minute tour ×
German Language Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for speakers of German wanting to discuss the finer points of the language and translation. It's 100% free, no registration required.

I want to say:

Yes, get water please

in German, but I think my attempt is wrong. I'm speaking to one other person informally:

Ja, bitte Wasser kriegt.

Is this right? Do I conjugate like this or use "kriegen"?

share|improve this question

get reflects the meaning of to bring in this context, so you could try translating to bring which will lead you to an obvious and valid outcome: Ja, bring mir ein Wasser bitte. –  Em1 Apr 11 at 11:22
add comment

3 Answers

In a question, the verb comes first and it is conjugated.

A correct translation would be therefore "Ja, hole bitte Wasser."

share|improve this answer

As Georges Elencwajg pointed out, in this context "holen" (to fetch) is a correct translation for "to get". ("To get" is such a multi-purpose word that in other contexts, "kriegen" (to obtain) is a correct translation, but here it isn't.) –  Georg Apr 11 at 10:03
add comment

I don’t see a verb in a question, but it’s like this:

Person A: Möchtest du (ein Glas) Wasser trinken?
Person B: Ja, könntest du mir welches bringen/geben? or: Ja, bringst du es mir?

If A and B call each other “Sie”, it’s:

Person A: Möchten Sie (ein Glas) Wasser trinken?
Person B: Ja, könnten Sie mir welches bringen/geben?

add comment

No, unfortunately your translation is not correct: "Ja, bitte Wasser kriegt" is a strange phrase which could be back-translated to "Yes, please water receives".

A possible translation of "yes, get water please" could be "ja, hole bitte Wasser", but it is difficult to be sure since you provide no context.

add comment

Your Answer

discard

By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.