Take the 2-minute tour ×
German Language Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for speakers of German wanting to discuss the finer points of the language and translation. It's 100% free, no registration required.

The term for inhabitants of countries often can't be deduced by the countries name:

For example:

Saarland - Saarländer

but:

Deutschland - Deutscher (not Deutschländer)

Russland - Russe (not Russländer)

Also there are more obscure forms:

Monaco - Monegasse

Elfenbeinküste - Ivorer

Is there a list of correct terms for inhabitants of countries?

share|improve this question

[...]dass der amtliche Staatenname im Deutschen mittlerweile Cote dIvoire lautet. [...] Die einzig korrekte Einwohnerbezeichnung lautet dementsprechend dann Ivorer/Ivorerin. Duden –  Em1 Nov 15 '12 at 15:18
How about this: de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ethnonym –  elena Nov 15 '12 at 15:27
@elena Interesting link. However, some might wonder why an Este isn't called Estländer while an Engländer isn't called Enge. I guess there's no rule at all. Thus we have to learn all them by heart and a complete list might be helpful. –  Em1 Nov 15 '12 at 16:00

1 Answer 1

up vote 10 down vote accepted

You can download the list in the web links section of this wiki page:

Liste der Staaten der Erde

The link is "Verzeichnis der Staatennamen für den amtlichen Gebrauch...", a pdf document from the Department for Foreign Affairs of Germany. You will find the terms for the inhabitants in the fourth column ("Bezeichnung der Staatsangehörigen").

share|improve this answer
Great! Now that I know where to look for, I also found a PDF list from the Austrian Department on Foreign Affairs, which includes an Index and German AND English Terms. –  phoibos Nov 16 '12 at 8:28

Your Answer

discard

By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.