Take the 2-minute tour ×
German Language Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for speakers of German wanting to discuss the finer points of the language and translation. It's 100% free, no registration required.

In a German text I had written, one of its sentences has been corrected as follows :

Zum Beispiel schreibe ich Wörter, bei deren Aussprache ich mir nicht sicher bin, zwischen eckigen Klammern.

In my original sentence, I had written :

Zum Beispiel schreibe ich Wörter, deren Aussprache ich mir nicht sicher bin, zwischen eckigen Klammern.

As far as I know, the correct expression is "sich etwas[Gen.] sicher sein". I don't understand the meaning of "bei" in this sentence and why it is necessary.

Could anyone please explain to me why it's "bei deren" and not just "deren" ?

share|improve this question
add comment

2 Answers 2

up vote 7 down vote accepted

Well, there is a difference in meaning which may become more obvious when we shorten these sentences to:

Ich bin mir bei der Aussprache Dat. sicher.

This is exactly what we want to say: "I am confident on pronouncing".

Ich bin mir der Aussprache Gen. sicher.

This may be taken as identical to the above but there is a different meaning when using genitive case: "I am sure of a pronunciation." In your examples above we make clear that we use the dative case by introducing the preposition "bei".

This can also be seen in the following examples:

• Er ist sich ihrer Liebe sicher. - He is sure she will love him.
    Er ist sich bei ihrer Liebe sicher. - He is sure her love is true.
  • Sie fühlt sich ihres Einkommens sicher. - She feels her income is safe.
    Sie fühlt sich bei ihrem Einkommen sicher. - She feels safe with her income.
share|improve this answer
add comment

In correct rule compliant German it should be :

..., derer Ausprache...

However, I doubt that anyone would say that. Sich sicher sein also exists with bei and über ... at least Google find it, and while the bei-version originally wasn't "designed" for this very situation it does avoid the stilted Genitive and can, in my opinion, be considered high German, too.

share|improve this answer

Are you sure that derer is correct? Wortgebrauch und Verwechslungen: deren oder derer? –  AlexE Nov 19 '12 at 7:46

@AlexE In OP's example both deren and derer is grammatically correct. –  Em1 Nov 19 '12 at 12:11
add comment

Your Answer

discard

By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.