Take the 2-minute tour ×
German Language Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for speakers of German wanting to discuss the finer points of the language and translation. It's 100% free, no registration required.

I can't find any information on this, why is 'sein' sometimes not use at the end of sentence, for example:

Es wird fantastisch!

The speaker was talking about a meeting later today.

Why is the sentence not the following?

Es wird fantastisch sein!

It will be amazing ?

share|improve this question
add comment

2 Answers 2

up vote 6 down vote accepted

Es wird fantastisch!

The main (and only) verb of the first sentence is werden in present tense. In German, it is quite common to use the present tense to denote the future.

Es wird fantastisch sein!

The main verb of the second sentence is sein in future tense (Futur I, which uses werden as an auxiliary verb).

Thus, both sentences are correct (although the first one is more common), but in the first sentence, werden is the main verb, in the second, it is an auxiliary verb.

Note that this is not an ellipse - nothing is left out, instead these are two grammatically different constructions.

share|improve this answer

Could I also say -> Es sollte gut! Instead of -> Es sollte gut sein! –  lwm Nov 20 '12 at 21:04

@LukeMurphy No, but it is common to say: Alles wird gut. –  Em1 Nov 20 '12 at 21:14
add comment

German forms the future tense with werden. Werden also means to become. Seeing it that way helps to understand why sein is superfluous here.

Morgen werde ich 20. I'll turn 20 tomorrow.

The literal translation would be:

Tomorrow I become 20.

which is actually a proper statement. German expresses the future that way. It is a different mind set if you will. English uses a verb that is related to wishing things (to will) , German uses a verb that is to become. Hence a sein is not needed.

share|improve this answer

Und neben "to become" hat es auch noch die Bedeutung von "to develop", "to arise", "to result". Also Entstehung, Entwicklung von etwas. For example: "Es wird gut" bedeutet ja, dass es JETZT noch nicht gut ist, aber sich dorthin entwickeln, verändern wird. –  Em1 Nov 20 '12 at 21:29
add comment

Your Answer

discard

By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.