Take the 2-minute tour ×
German Language Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for speakers of German wanting to discuss the finer points of the language and translation. It's 100% free, no registration required.

The verb "küssen" is conjugated in second person singular, plural and in the third person with 'ß'

du küßt
er/sie/es küßt
ihr küßt
Source

Is it incorrect if I use it for the others too? Also, why is it not "küßen" to begin with? Isn't any word with 'ss' allowed to be replaced by 'ß'?

share|improve this question
add comment

1 Answer 1

up vote 10 down vote accepted

It is spelled with double s in every case.

Have a look the answer to the question Is there a rule that dictates whether to use the eszett (scharfes S) or double s?.

share|improve this answer

Oh, I got the conjugation from here. That's why I asked this question. Thanks for the link by the way. Good explanation in the answers. vocabulix.com/conjugation2/kuessen.html –  thandasoru Nov 28 '12 at 17:01
It seems like that website still uses the old rules. The new (1996) rules are simple: Short vowel is followed by double s instead of ß. –  Timbo Nov 28 '12 at 17:07

Don't forget diphthongs. They are aloways followed by ß. –  Thorsten Dittmar Nov 29 '12 at 12:37
add comment

Your Answer

discard

By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.