Take the 2-minute tour ×
German Language Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for speakers of German wanting to discuss the finer points of the language and translation. It's 100% free, no registration required.

I'm aware German doesn't have a gerund like the English language does, so I was just wondering how you could translate "being a" as in "being a vegetarian may cause health problems"?

Would "als" work here?

share|improve this question
being -> to be -> zu sein –  Em1 Dec 6 '12 at 21:39
Just for clarification, German does have a Gerund form by making the verb a neuter noun: "sein" ("be") to "das Sein" ("the action of being something or existing"), just for the example here. –  Kevin Dec 7 '12 at 5:27

@ em1: you are missing the cause-notion of "being a" –  Emanuel Dec 7 '12 at 22:33

3 Answers 3

As @Em1 correctly explained

Vegetarier zu sein könnte gesundheitliche Probleme verursachen/ bedingen.

oder flüssiger

Vegetarier zu sein könnte der Gesundheit abträglich sein / schaden.
share|improve this answer

These examples are grammatically correct but unidiomatic. Germans don't typically use "zu sein" gerunds. Active verbs sound better: I'd try "Sich an eine vegetarische Diät zu halten..." or "Als Vegetarier zu leben..." . –  Andrew Cone Dec 8 '12 at 1:20
I disagree in so far as that your examples are not any better or more common. On the contrary , to me they are more complicated the one of Bummie... If someone wanted to match the succinctness of the English gerund, a German would probably say "Eine vegetarische Ernährung kann zu ... " or more colloquial "Kein Fleisch zu essen... –  Emanuel Dec 8 '12 at 20:11

As a native speaker, I don't think the use of "zu sein" is unidiomatic. However, I don't like the „könnte“. I would probably use "Vegetarier zu sein kann der Gesundheit schaden." or "Vegetarier zu sein kann zu gesundheitlichen Problemen führen." –  cfaerber Dec 8 '12 at 23:39

Noch kompakter: "Vegetarismus kann der Gesundheit schaden" o. "~ kann ungesund sein". Vor allem schmeckt es nicht. ;) –  user unknown Dec 9 '12 at 1:11

Colloquially I would drop the "zu". –  Sebastian Redl Mar 20 at 16:36

In your example "being a vegetarian may cause health problems," you'd need to resort to a different expression, e.g. change the phrase "being a vegetarian" to "to live as a vegetarian" or "life as a vegetarian":

a) |Als Vegetarier zu leben| verursacht möglicherweise Gesundheitsprobleme. 

b) |Das Leben als Vegetarier| ruft möglicherweise Gesundheitsprobleme hervor.

It's a different thing with e.g. "being a chef, he knew how to make lasagna," where you can indeed use "Als X":

|Als Koch| wusste er, wie man Lasagne zubereitet.

+1 for the difference between "being a vegetarian" and "being a chef" (or rather the significance of the comma). –  Hagen von Eitzen Dec 7 '12 at 21:31

we can bring the examples even closer together: "Being a vegetarian he knows how to cook tasty stuff with vegetables"... there are different functions of "being a" –  Emanuel Dec 7 '12 at 22:31

Additionally als can be used as you actually purposed.

For instance

Being an office employee, I don't dare to complain about that.

could be like so

Als Büroangestellter wage ich nicht mich darüber zu beschweren.

It does not work for the sentence in the question, though. –  Carsten Schultz Feb 26 at 1:05

@CarstenSchultz right. What I had in mind is the more general question in the title. –  user5513 Feb 26 at 1:09

Your Answer

discard

By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.