Take the 2-minute tour ×
German Language Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for speakers of German wanting to discuss the finer points of the language and translation. It's 100% free, no registration required.

I have 3 phrases with missing prepositions which I have doubts of:

1. Bei Diesem Käfer handelt es sich ___ ein sehr seltenes Exemplar. I don't actually understand the phrase and therefor can't even think of the right preposition.

2. Sie hat drei Jahre __ ihrer Promotion gearbeitet. I think it's "für" here. Am I right?

3. Konzentrieren Sie sich __ das Vokabellernen! I think here it's "an". Right?

share|improve this question
looks like homework to me –  Emanuel Dec 7 '12 at 22:17

@Emanuel It's not really a homework. I study myself, without a teacher, and a friend gave some cards to me to learn prepositions, but I need to fill the gaps first. These 3 I didn't find in my dictionary:( –  Victoria Khinevich Dec 9 '12 at 9:13
you cannot really look up prepositions in the dictionary as it highly depends on the context which one to use –  Emanuel Dec 9 '12 at 13:01
add comment

closed as not constructive by Emanuel, user unknown, Baz, Em1, Hubert Schölnast Dec 8 '12 at 15:08

As it currently stands, this question is not a good fit for our Q&A format. We expect answers to be supported by facts, references, or expertise, but this question will likely solicit debate, arguments, polling, or extended discussion. If you feel that this question can be improved and possibly reopened, visit the help center for guidance.If this question can be reworded to fit the rules in the help center, please edit the question.

1 Answer

1. The meaning is in fact just "This bug is a very rare specimen" - but the to be is expressed here by "sich um etwas handeln".

2. It could be "für ihre Promotion" but here it should be "an ihrer Promotion". Note that "Sie hat für ihre Promotion gearbeitet" might suggest that she needed to work for three years (e.g. as waitress) to financially back up her life as researcher.

3. I think also in English you concentrate on something.

share|improve this answer
add comment

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.