Take the 2-minute tour ×
German Language Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for speakers of German wanting to discuss the finer points of the language and translation. It's 100% free, no registration required.

What is the name given to verb pairs such as the ones in the thread's title, characterized by coupled vowel→umlauted vowel and meaning shifts?

share|improve this question

2 Answers 2

I could not find any specific description related by vowels.
I would assume Wortfamilie would be the nearest description, since all pairs of common ancestors.
Tausch(en) nutzen wagen

share|improve this answer

The only name that comes to my mind is cognates, which are words that share the same etymological origin. Two cognates in the same language are also called doublets.

share|improve this answer
Wörter die ähnlich geschrieben werden haben aber nicht immer die gleiche Wurzel. Stimmt das überhaupt für die Beispiele? –  user unknown Dec 27 '12 at 0:21
@userunknown "Nutzen und nützen" sind genau genommen ein und dasselbe Wort, wobei letzteres nur als Verb im Sinne von "Das nützt mir nichts" verwendet wird. - "Tauschen und täuschen" haben die selbe Wurzel. - "wagen und wägen" letzten Endes auch. Wägen stammt sowieso von wiegen ab, wagen hat in der Tat seine Herleitung aber auch von der Waage. –  Em1 Dec 27 '12 at 6:48
I don't think, nutzen and nützen are the same, as the former is used in the meaning of "to use" and "to be of value/to be beneficial", whereas the second doesn't have the "to use" meaning. –  alexraasch Dec 27 '12 at 9:56

Your Answer


By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.