What is the name given to verb pairs such as the ones in the thread's title, characterized by coupled vowel→umlauted vowel and meaning shifts?

• What is a "coupled vowel"? Am I parsing this ckrrectly? Please presebt your research on Umlautung because as far as I know (from quite dated literature) the process is not entirely understood. The fact that wägen is spelled as such seems to be irrelevent as much as the difference between sg. Wagen and pl. Waagen (car, respectively scales) as orthographic convention with subsequent spelling pronounciation.
    – vectory
    Mar 13, 2023 at 18:00

2 Answers 2

I could not find any specific description related by vowels.
I would assume Wortfamilie would be the nearest description, since all pairs of common ancestors.
Tausch(en) nutzen wagen

The only name that comes to my mind is cognates, which are words that share the same etymological origin. Two cognates in the same language are also called doublets.

Wörter die ähnlich geschrieben werden haben aber nicht immer die gleiche Wurzel. Stimmt das überhaupt für die Beispiele? Dec 27, 2012 at 0:21
  • @userunknown "Nutzen und nützen" sind genau genommen ein und dasselbe Wort, wobei letzteres nur als Verb im Sinne von "Das nützt mir nichts" verwendet wird. - "Tauschen und täuschen" haben die selbe Wurzel. - "wagen und wägen" letzten Endes auch. Wägen stammt sowieso von wiegen ab, wagen hat in der Tat seine Herleitung aber auch von der Waage.
    – Em1
    Dec 27, 2012 at 6:48
  • I don't think, nutzen and nützen are the same, as the former is used in the meaning of "to use" and "to be of value/to be beneficial", whereas the second doesn't have the "to use" meaning.
    – alexkelbo
    Dec 27, 2012 at 9:56

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service and acknowledge you have read our privacy policy.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.