Take the 2-minute tour ×
German Language Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for speakers of German wanting to discuss the finer points of the language and translation. It's 100% free, no registration required.

"Der Monat Januar" wird zu "the month of January" im englischen übersetzt. Aber soll es nicht "der Monat Januars"? Ich sage das, weil Genitive Form von Januar 'Januars' ist und die Bedeutung zu Genitiv nur hinweißt.

share|improve this question

Der Genitiv von Januar ist sowohl "Januar" als auch "Januars", wobei beides wohl nichts mit Deiner Frage zu tun hat. Aber ehrlich gesagt, verstehe ich die Frage nicht ganz. –  John Smithers Jan 7 '13 at 14:38
I am also not aware what exactly your question is. What I can say for sure is that in German there isn't any construction like "Der Monat Januars", "Der Monat von Januar" etc. But perhaps you could offer the full sentence you're intending to write. –  Em1 Jan 7 '13 at 14:54
This triggers an interesting counter-question: Why is it "the month of january" instead of "the month january" in English? It's not the month belonging to January, is it? –  Joachim Sauer Jan 7 '13 at 16:32
"Der Monat Januar" ist wie "der Kater Mikesch". –  user unknown Jan 7 '13 at 17:55
@JoachimSauer: No, it's not the possessive genitive. They call it appositive genitive. I'd say it's a type of Genitivus explicativus, where a noun specifies the preceding noun: the month of January, the city of Hamburg, the title of President. It's in Latin languages too: French: le mois de janvier, la cité de Hamburg. Spanish: el mes de enero, la ciudad de Hamburgo. I would guess it's been adopted from Latin, just not by continental Germanic languages. We do have 'die Figur des jungen Werther' or 'der Titel des Präsidenten' for a Genitivus explicativus, though. –  TehMacDawg Jan 7 '13 at 18:58
show 6 more comments

1 Answer 1

up vote 5 down vote accepted

Der Monat Januar bedeutet im Deutschen nicht der Monat des Januar.

Es ist ein Ausdruck wie "Der Tag X", "Der Abteilungsleiter Herr Mayer" ...

share|improve this answer

Okay! Ich glaube, ich verstehe es jetzt. Danke für die andere Ausdrücken. Ich fühle mich ganz dumm zur Zeit! Aber ich dachte nie wie es. –  Anurag Kalia Jan 7 '13 at 15:10
add comment

Your Answer

discard

By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.