Take the 2-minute tour ×
German Language Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for speakers of German wanting to discuss the finer points of the language and translation. It's 100% free, no registration required.

In den Carmina Burana gibt es die Stelle:

"Mandaliet, mandaliet, min geselle chumet niet."

wobei "mandaliet" manchmal auch als zwei Wörter geschrieben wurde.

Ich habe sowohl gehört, dass das Wort nichts bedeutet (so wie lalala), als auch, dass "liet" Lied bedeutet mit verschiedenen unplausiblen Vorschlägen für "manda".

Weiß hier jemand mehr darüber?

share|improve this question

3 Answers 3

We once sang the lyrics in the boy scouts and I was told that "Manda liet" means Great sorrow. The modern German word for sorrow is Leid. I can see how this is related to Liet. So that would be Liet=Leid=Sorrow. However, there is no modern german word that closely resembles manda. Maybe it could be related to Menge (amount, lot). In any case Great sorrow makes sence in the context.

share|improve this answer

Ich habe die Carmina Burana schon mehrmals gesungen. Uns wurde damals bei einer der Proben von einem Experten erklärt, dass die »Manda« die »Männer« sind (ist auch heute noch in Tirol so), und dass die »Liet« »Leute« sind.

Die »Mandaliet« sind also »Männerleute«, also eine Gruppe von Männern. Der Satz »Mandaliet, Manda Liet, min geselle chumet niet« heißt also wörtlich:

Männerleute, Männer, Leute! Mein Freund kommt nicht.

Die Aussage, dass der Freund nicht kommt, wird also an eine Gruppe von Männern gerichtet

Sehr schöne, einfache und plausible Erklärung. Damit ergibt auch das Lied sehr viel Sinn: In den Strophen singt der schmachtende Liebhaber auf Latein, und im Refrain beschwert sich die Geliebte auf Deutsch ganz prosaisch, dass er so lang auf sich warten lässt. (Typisch Mannsvolk!) –  Hans Adler Mar 4 at 11:02

I found this (here):

The expression manda liet appears to be a combination of the imperative of the Latin mando and the MHG [Middle High German] liet (mod. German: Lied = song).

and in an old (1994) Usenet post:

As far as I know, the MHG word "mandaliet" means "joyful song" or "dance-song" (cf. OHG "menden" = "to be glad").

And another intpretation in this English translation

Manda liet, manda liet, min geselle chumet niet.
Lackaday, tackaday, will she never come my way?

(lackaday archaic for "ach")

"Joyful song, joyful song, my friend does not come." does not make much sense in the context. –  Phira May 30 '11 at 8:22

I read that too, and asked myself if the person on usenet didn't bother to check what "min geselle chumet niet" means ;) –  Stefano Palazzo May 30 '11 at 8:34

These explanations would be better than nothing, but the one referred by Hubert Schölnast is much more convincing. It doesn't assume the first word in the German refrain to be Latin, and it explains the t at the end of liet: Manda is simply an old form of man that is used in the local dialect even today (also compare Danish mand) and liet is Leute (people). Together it means menfolk - just the kind of word you would expect in a complaint that the lover is not coming. –  Hans Adler Mar 4 at 11:14

@HansAdler Yes, sounds convincing to me too. –  splattne Mar 4 at 15:32

Your Answer

discard

By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.