Take the 2-minute tour ×
German Language Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for speakers of German wanting to discuss the finer points of the language and translation. It's 100% free, no registration required.

Google Translate is suggesting 'abmelden', but I'm wondering if there's a more commonly used idiom that could go at the bottom of an email or otherwise.

share|improve this question
add comment

3 Answers

up vote 4 down vote accepted

Abo kündigen. (Abo is a universally understood short form of Abonnement - subscription, kündigen is to terminate.)

Abmelden will confuse some people as it is most commonly used on the Web for "logging out" (e.g., from a forum).

Mailman, perhaps the most widely used mailing list manager, uses two different translations for "unsubscribe" on its standard user-facing "About" page (example):

1. Bezug der Liste kündigen
  2. Abonnement abbestellen

I find them both inferior to my proposal, which wins on grounds of brevity.

share|improve this answer

Ich glaube kaum dass "abmelden" jemanden verwirren wird, zumal nicht Abonennten einer Mailingliste, und vor allem deshalb nicht, weil sich fast niemand je irgendwo explizit ausloggt. Eine Alternative ist das Kündigen des Abos (wieso nicht der Liste?) sicher, aber an abmelden oder abbestellen ist auch nichts auszusetzen. –  user unknown Jan 22 '13 at 10:07
add comment

Ich kenne noch: "können Sie mich bitte (aus Ihrer Liste) austragen?"

add comment

To add some more alternatives to the nice answer given already:

• Newsletter abbestellen (both "Abonnement", and "kündigen" don't go well with Newsletters)
  • Von der Empfängerliste streichen
  • [In Zukunft] keine Benachrichtigungen mehr erhalten
  • Aus dem Verteiler nehmen
add comment

Your Answer

discard

By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.