German Language Stack Exchange is a bilingual question and answer site for speakers of all levels who want to share and increase their knowledge of the German language. It's 100% free, no registration required.

I am learning about Konjunktiv II, and there is one thing that is confusing me, and that is when are you supposed to use wäre and when würde.

Is there some rule, or some logic behind it, when are you supposed to use wäre and when würde?

share|improve this question

closed as off-topic by chirlu, Jan, boaten, Em1, hiergiltdiestfu Oct 23 at 7:58

This question appears to be off-topic. The users who voted to close gave this specific reason:

• "This site is about the usage and rules of the German language. It is not well-suited to replace dictionaries, grammar books or similar. If you have already consulted such general references and still have questions, please edit your question to explain what you found and why it did not help. See this post on Meta for more information." – boaten, Em1, hiergiltdiestfu
If this question can be reworded to fit the rules in the help center, please edit the question.

I wonder if the question was about würde … sein rather than just würde. Would make more sense than what the only answer assumed. – chirlu Oct 22 at 12:09

1 Answer 1

up vote 5 down vote accepted

Wäre is the Konjunktiv for sein:

Ich wäre gerne ein Tiger.

All verbs that use the Hilfsverb werden are formed with würde:

Ich würde gehen.

See this nice overview (German).

share|improve this answer

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.