Take the 2-minute tour ×
German Language Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for speakers of German wanting to discuss the finer points of the language and translation. It's 100% free, no registration required.

I have just learned German. I have heard a lot of people say the word "da" in conversation, but I don't know what it means. And dictionary doesn't help. Can somebody help me translate this word and give me some examples how to use it correctly.

share|improve this question

Was ist das für ein Dictionary, das da nicht kennt? –  user unknown Jan 21 '13 at 21:56
add comment

4 Answers

up vote 9 down vote accepted

Da is either a conjunction connecting the main clause with a causal clause or it is an adverb.

As a conjunction Duden defines three different usages one of which is archaic. The other two usages are quite common. First it has the meaning of because, since as in

Diese Frage ist einfach für mich, da Deutsch meine Muttersprache ist.

(This questions is quite simple for me, since [or because] German is my mother-tongue.)

The second usage as conjunction includes a temporal meaning.

Da ich jetzt ihre Aufmerksamkeit habe, möchte ich mit meinem Vortrag beginnen.

(Now that I have your attention, I'd like to start my presentation.)

As an adverb there are several different usages including spatial and temporal location:

Da vorne wohnt er. (There he lives.)

Von da an [=Seit diesem Moment] war absolute Ruhe. (From this moment there was ultimate silence.)

There are (= Da sind) more than those mentioned usages. For example da is also used in meaning of in this respect. More examples and usages are listed on Duden.

share|improve this answer

I'd like to add as as another translation: This question is quite simple for me as German is my mother-tongue. As I now have your attention, I'd like to start my presentation. As of that moment, there was silence. –  ssc Jan 23 '13 at 19:31

@ssc your "as" translation is just a synonym for "since", except the last sentence. Could you translate that one for me? I am intrigued by the structure! –  Anurag Kalia Feb 3 '13 at 13:49

The translation is in the answer I commented on: As of that moment, there was silence. (a different way to say:) From this moment there was silence. (translation:) Von da an [=Von diesem Moment an (or) Seit diesem Moment] war Ruhe. –  ssc Feb 3 '13 at 17:01
add comment

There are two meanings of da

1. da familiar with dort
  2. da familiar with weil

Da ich hier bin, bin ich da.

I would translate it as "Since I'm here, I'm here."

and I can use "since" and "da" or "here" and "da" interchangeably? Or are there any rules? –  toy Jan 21 '13 at 11:59

in case of temporal use of since (from) it would be wrong, in case of meaning there with the meaning of thither it would be wrong too. –  bummi Jan 21 '13 at 12:05
add comment

In addition to what others explained, da before all means there. And just like in English, it's often used as fillword. That might the reason why you hear people say it in conversations rather frequently, e.g.

You have an interesting thought there.

Du hast da einen interessanten Gedanken.

What about "bis gleich wieder da" Does that fit as well? –  toy Jan 23 '13 at 20:08

@toy "Bin gleich wieder da" is very common. –  Em1 Jan 23 '13 at 22:15

For example, you're in a restaurant with someone and excuse yourself to go to the restroom: "(Ich) bin gleich wieder da" - "I'll be back in a second". (However, I'm just noticing now that da in this case means here rather than there as you're referring to the current location - I'll be back here in a sec...) Another (better) example: You're talking on the phone to someone and announce your imminent arrival: "Bin gleich da" - "I'll be there in a sec". –  ssc Jan 24 '13 at 9:23
add comment

In addition to the above, 'da' is also used with prepositions to 'step in' for the noun (a bit like a pronoun). A preposition requires a noun, as in example 1 below. We can replace 'vor dem Hund' with 'davor' if it is obvious what we are referring to, as in example 2. It can also refer to entire clauses, as in example 3.

1) Ich habe Angst vor dem Hund.

2) Ich habe Angst davor.

3) Ich habe Angst davor, dass mich der Hund beißt.

This works with many prepositions. (Sometimes you add an extra 'r' to prevent two vowels coming together).

*) Er kümmert sich um das Kind. Er kümmert sich darum. Er kümmert sich darum, dass das Kind zur Schule kommt.

*) Du hast dich mit dem Messer geschnitten. Du hast dich damit geschnitten.

*) Wir wissen alles über Mathe. Wir wissen alles darüber.

add comment

Your Answer

discard

By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.