Take the 2-minute tour ×
German Language Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for speakers of German wanting to discuss the finer points of the language and translation. It's 100% free, no registration required.

I was reading my German book, and I founded a little statement that I wasn't capable to understand.

... Plötzlich geht das Licht aus.
Robert: "Wer ist da? Martha, bist du das?"

Can someone explain me the translation of the word 'das'.
I know that this word is the neuter article, but the translation is "Are you there?". The translation of the word 'there' in German is 'dort', 'da'. Is this 'das' some kind of particle?

share|improve this question
add comment

2 Answers

We can literally translate this example to reveal the usage of "das" in the example given as demonstrative pronoun:

Who is it? Martha, is that you?

share|improve this answer
add comment

A more literal translation might be is it you? The question is not only whether Martha is there (as opposed to no-one), but also who else might be there (e.g. Robert might have heard a noise, so someone is there, but who?).

share|improve this answer

hmmm... the German definite articles originally used to be demonstrative articles so "that" might be in fact more literal here –  Emanuel Feb 4 '13 at 18:13
add comment

Your Answer

discard

By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.