Take the 2-minute tour ×
German Language Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for speakers of German wanting to discuss the finer points of the language and translation. It's 100% free, no registration required.

Could a native German speaker explain to me why the following verbs are irregular

tragen trug getragen
betragen betrug betragen
auftragen trug auf aufgetragen
beitragen trug bei beigetragen

but magically the following one

beauftragen beauftragte beauftragt

is regular?

share|improve this question
It's not really a question for a native speaker but maybe for a linguist. As a native speaker I never ever thought of this issue before. And as a person who learnt (or try to learn) some language I can only tell you to accept it as it is. But yes, it is not logical. At least not to me. –  Christian Graf Feb 5 '13 at 13:33

+1, cuz I never thought I would find this interesting. This site is a pest :D –  TheBlastOne Feb 6 '13 at 9:31
add comment

3 Answers 3

up vote 8 down vote accepted

I respectfully disagree. There is logic; the verb beauftragen is constructed from the noun Auftrag with the prefix be-, and the noun element Auftrag is not affected by the variation of the verb.

Similarly: beeinflussen from Einfluss, beinhalten from Inhalt, beanspruchen from Anspruch.

share|improve this answer

+1, sounds very logical. But couldn´t it be just by accident? Is the "be-" prefix really responsible? –  TheBlastOne Feb 6 '13 at 9:28

What about "belassen", for example. It would acknowledge the rule, right? Not constructed from a noun -> follows the "lassen" verb irregularity, right? –  TheBlastOne Feb 6 '13 at 9:30
"belassen" does not have a noun in its stem like beAUFTRAGen, beINHALTen, beEINFLUSSen. –  teylyn Feb 6 '13 at 9:46

What about "Betrag"? The past of the verb "betragen" is "betrug". –  Sentry Feb 7 '13 at 14:46

@Sentry I do not think "Betrag" and betragen apply to the rule abacus has given. The prefix "be" should not come from the noun. In your case it has to be "bebetragen" and such verb does not exist. –  Jagger Feb 7 '13 at 19:20
show 1 more comment

If you're looking for a logical answer, you're out of luck :)

But in general, it's like this: the younger a verb is, the more likely it will be a regular one - which is true for English, too, btw.

You usually can't tell whether a verb is going to be regular or irregular when looking at it for the very first time - you'll just have to memorise the lists, I'm afraid.

It is a great relief to get a reminder that English native speakers have to learn irregular German verbs just like German native speakers have to learn irregular English verbs :D –  TheBlastOne Feb 6 '13 at 9:26
add comment

There are several examples for this phenomenon, e.g. schlagen vs veranschlagen, or even two declinations for the same verb (but with different meanings), e.g. hängen or schleifen. As already mentioned, there is no "logic" behind this.

add comment

Your Answer

discard

By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.