Take the 2-minute tour ×
German Language Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for speakers of German wanting to discuss the finer points of the language and translation. It's 100% free, no registration required.

It seems that I have three verbs in my sentence. Are must and let verbs? Must turns to to have in its verb form, but let?

share|improve this question

Must is verb form - isn't it? What else? –  user unknown Mar 1 '13 at 2:12
I am downvoting because this Question is barely comprehensible and the Asker has not been back to clarify. –  Eugene Seidel Mar 5 '13 at 17:13
add comment

2 Answers

up vote 4 down vote accepted

It is

Du musst mich sprechen lassen.

The verbs don't change, they are the direct translations.

Also read the comments, they may be important.

share|improve this answer
Or: Sie mussen mich sprechen lassen? Thank you. –  Noman Arain Feb 27 '13 at 15:48
Norman: actually "Sie müssen mich sprechen lassen." –  Joachim Sauer Feb 27 '13 at 16:04

How do you know the required style? Siezen and Duzen can both be correct, depending on the situation and styling of address. –  Toscho Feb 27 '13 at 17:41
I have never in the 46 years of my life heard anyone say "Du musst mich sprechen lassen". The only contexts, where it might make sense, is for an actor to say: "Du musst mich (vor)sprechen lassen." or for someone to tell the warden in a jail: "Du musst mich mit ihm reden lassen." In all other situations something like "Ich möchte jetzt etwas sagen." or "Lass mich auch mal was sagen." would be much more common. –  user1914 Mar 4 '13 at 9:39
I have to agree with what @what said. Du musst mich sprechen lassen doesn't really sounds genuine to me. We don't have any context but I would say that he actually is looking for "Du musst mich ausreden lassen" –  Emanuel Mar 5 '13 at 11:48
show 3 more comments

I find this formulation much beter:

Lass mich ausreden! Lassen Sie mich ausreden!

Du musst mich ausreden lassen! Sie müssen mich ausreden lassen!

share|improve this answer

Das wäre you must let me finish speaking, wäre es nicht? –  user unknown Mar 1 '13 at 2:12

"wäre es nicht" ist Denglisch, "nicht wahr" ist Deutsch. –  harper Mar 1 '13 at 6:06

Ja, aber der Satz auf Englisch unterscheidet die zwei Bedeutungen nicht. –  Brian Mar 1 '13 at 17:29

Wir haben keinen Kontext, aber ich dachte auch zuerst and "ausreden"... –  Emanuel Mar 5 '13 at 11:49

Going by some of OP's other Questions, his grasp of English seems to be a bit shaky. Maybe OP wanted to ask for German translation of "Let me finish!" In that case, Brian's first choice, "Lass mich (or: Lassen Sie mich) ausreden!" would be very good. –  Eugene Seidel Mar 5 '13 at 12:59
show 1 more comment

Your Answer

discard

By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.