Take the 2-minute tour ×
German Language Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for speakers of German wanting to discuss the finer points of the language and translation. It's 100% free, no registration required.

I'm trying to say that each day I get up at ten thirty in response to the question "Wann stehen Sie auf?" I'm having some trouble putting the words in the correct order though. Is "Jeden Tag stehe ich halb zehn auf" correct or horribly wrong?

share|improve this question
add comment

1 Answer

up vote 6 down vote accepted

I think it's very nearly fine (but I'm not a native speaker). The only thing is that when you say something happens at a particular time, you need to add 'um' before the time (just like you add 'at' in English).

Also 'halb zehn' means half past nine rather than half past ten, so you need to say 'halb elf'.

"Jeden Tag stehe ich um halb elf [Uhr] auf" is grammatically correct, but to me "Ich stehe jeden Tag um halb elf auf" sounds better.

share|improve this answer

Sorry that I write a new answer, but I can't comment Taras' answer. Her Answer is totally correct! So I just wanted to agree her ;) –  j0chn Feb 27 '13 at 21:10

Thanks very much :) –  Kaileigh Feb 27 '13 at 21:19
add comment

Your Answer

discard

By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.