Take the 2-minute tour ×
German Language Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for speakers of German wanting to discuss the finer points of the language and translation. It's 100% free, no registration required.

Original:

I didn't see her and when I realized it was her, it was already too late.

Übersetzung:

Ich hatte sie nicht gesehen, und when ich hatte realized es war sie, es war schon zu spat.
Ich hatte sie nicht gesehen, und when ich habe realized es war sie, es war schon zu spat.

Habe oder hatte - welches und warum?

share|improve this question

4 Answers 4

up vote 10 down vote accepted

First of all, we should keep in mind that präteritum is normally not used in spoken german.

Having said that, let´s break it into pieces.

1) "I didn't see her".

Teoretically, Perfekt Partizip should suffice here, but there is a fact that we must take into account, something happens (happened) after the subject (I) "didn´t see her", so we should use another form of past that lets us describe an event in the past and another event that came short after, that is Plusquamperfekt, which is built with the verb in Partizip II and "haben" or "sein" (depending on how the verb builds its Perfekt) in Präteritum.

Our posibilities would then be:

• ich sah sie nicht. (Präteritum)
  • ich habe sie nicht gesehen. (Perfekt)
  • ich hatte sie nicht gesehen. ( Plusquamperfekt, chosen )

2) "and when I realized it was her" or "and when i realized that it was her".

Now we should talk about the event that came after what we just formulated in "far" past, but we talk about it in "near" past ( Perfekt Partizip ).

• und als ich bemerkt habe, (Perfekt)

Now for the "that it was her" part, we try first to use Perfekt Partizip, but since the main verb is "sein", and "sein" is a modal verb, we use Präteritum instead of Perfekt.

• dass es sie war. (Präteritum)

3) "it was already too late"

We use Präteritum once again, since a Modales Verb is involved.

• es war schon zu spät.

In my opinion this would be a good aproximation to your idea: Ich hatte sie nicht gesehen, und als ich bemerkt habe, dass sie es war, war es schon zu spät.

I would personally say it this way: Nachdem ich sie nicht gesehen hatte, habe ich bemerkt, dass es sich um sie handelte, aber es war schon zu spät

Improvement by @Unknown User included.

Improvement by @Eugene Seidel:

Ich hatte sie nicht gesehen, und als ich sie erkannt habe, war es schon zu spät.

Reason: Odd / Non-standard use of "Nachdem".

share|improve this answer
+1 for using three tenses in one sentence and for the reasoned explanation. As bizarre as it sounds, German really does work like this. –  Eugene Seidel Feb 28 '13 at 21:14

OMG, that was superb, lol. Gute gemacht :) –  Noman Arain Feb 28 '13 at 21:42

But "und als ich bemerkt habe" could we say, wenn or wann instead of als? –  Noman Arain Feb 28 '13 at 21:46

Statt dass es sie war würde ich dass sie es war vorschlagen, eher noch ... und als ich bemerkte, sie ist es, .... Der letzte Satz ist m.E. misslungen. Und das nach der schönen Erklärung! –  user unknown Mar 1 '13 at 0:55

@Knoretae You can improve your first suggestion like so: Ich hatte sie nicht gesehen, und als ich sie erkannt habe, war es schon zu spät. (erkannt is past participle of the verb erkennen.) Your second suggestion may not be optimal -- it sounds odd due to non-standard use of "nachdem" -- but again, nice handling of tenses there. –  Eugene Seidel Mar 1 '13 at 9:27

Ich hatte sie zunächst nicht gesehen, und als mir dann klar wurde, dass sie es war, war es schon zu spät.

Ich sah sie nicht, und als ich dann erkannt, dass sie es war, war es schon zu spät.

That would be for a novel or a short story. The second version is the more literal one. As for a spoken version I'd suggest this:

Ich hab' sie nicht gesehen, und dann, als ich gemerkt hab', dass sie es ist, war es schon zu spät.

Ich sah sie nicht und als ich erkannte (merkte) dass sie es war, war es schon zu spät.

sorry, I edited your answer and I actually wanted to edit mine... I'll try to reverse it. –  Emanuel Mar 2 '13 at 20:58

Ich habe sie erst nicht gesehen und als ich sie dann erkannt habe, war es zu spät.

Your Answer

discard

By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.