Take the 2-minute tour ×
German Language Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for speakers of German wanting to discuss the finer points of the language and translation. It's 100% free, no registration required.

I'm German and residing in France. When I was asked the following question the only word which came into my mind was Gesäß.

Which German word contains the most ä, ö, ü, and ß in any variation?

Are there others which contain more than two Umlauts and ß's? Not "zusammengesetzte Substantive" please and only word from the Duden.

I hope this question is not too off-topic - however I reckon that this question is not very serious.

share|improve this question
rückwärts, äußerst each have two. Möbelträgerfüße has all four but is a compound noun. How about an entire sentence? Völlerei lässt grüßen:) –  Eugene Seidel Mar 1 '13 at 21:37
One of Michael Ende's books has the title: "Der satanarchäolügenialkohöllische Wunschpunsch" The adjective in question does not abide the rules of compounding words, so one might say it's not compound. But unfortunately, it's also not in the Duden. –  Toscho Mar 2 '13 at 13:03

I would suggest not looking for the word with the most äöüß, but with the largest ratio of them (and strictly longer than two letters). –  Earthliŋ Mar 3 at 21:35
add comment

2 Answers

I found some word with three characters

Some more without a check in the Duden:

• Einflußgröße
  • Gefäßschädigung
  • Meßgröße
  • Rückäußerung
  • Rückstöße
  • blütenübersät
  • flächenmäßig
  • gefühlsmäßig
  • geschäftsmäßig
  • größtmöglich
  • rüstungsmäßig
  • übergroßzügig
  • überläßt
  • übermäßig

Some with four characters, but with some problems:

share|improve this answer

All of your examples are compound words, although the OP only excluded compound nouns. –  Toscho Mar 2 '13 at 13:01
add comment

Mit grep finde ich in einem Wörterbuch:

egrep ".*[äöüßÄÖÜ].*[äöüß].*[äöüß].*[äöüß]" ~/lib/dicts/utf-german 

Fußgängerübergänge
Größenmaßstäbe
größenordnungsmäßig

also 3 Vierlinge, aber leider alle mit einer Wiederholung. Längere sind nicht verzeichnet, aber da man im Deutschen beliebig lange Substantive kombinieren kann wäre "Fußgängerübergangsmörtel" ein Wort, in dem jeder Umlaut und das Eszet einmal vorkommt.

share|improve this answer
+1 for the use of egrep ;) –  Sentry Mar 3 '13 at 20:03
add comment

Your Answer

discard

By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.