Take the 2-minute tour ×
German Language Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for speakers of German wanting to discuss the finer points of the language and translation. It's 100% free, no registration required.

I'd like to know the origin of the word Quasselstrippe.

Is it the cord (Strippe) on the back of puppets on which you pull and they start to talk (quasseln)? Or is the origin something completely different?

share|improve this question

No offense, but this Q looks like it could have been answered quickly by firing up a search engine... –  Eugene Seidel Mar 2 '13 at 10:22
Yeah indeed: search Google for origin german quasselstrippe ;) –  Takkat Mar 2 '13 at 12:59

2 Answers 2

up vote 6 down vote accepted

The composite noun "Quasselstrippe" is built from

• quasseln (to jabber):

Reached German colloquial in 1900 from Berlin. It was built as an iteration from Low German "quāsen" (fressen, übermäßig essen, plaudern, schwatzen) (18. century), where the initial was changed from the Middle Low German "dwāsen" (Unsinn reden, irre reden, toll sein). translated from DWDS

• Strippe (cord)

Therefore "Quasselstrippe" initially was used for a "device on a cord to talk", i.e. a telephone (cf. http://www.dwds.de/?qu=Quasselstrippe). Later, and today when phones do not have a cord anymore, the meaning changed to describe a person who is talking too much.

share|improve this answer

Oops, I'm sorry, that's completely new to me. Thank you for reversing my edit. Hope you agree with my current edits. –  user1914 Mar 4 '13 at 13:58

@what: thank you for the linkie :) –  Takkat Mar 4 '13 at 14:07

As far as I know "Quasselstrippe" was a synonym for "telephone".
Old telephones had a chord which can be translated to "Kabel". And "Strippe" is a synonym for "Kabel".
But nowadays it is used for people who talk a lot and who can't stop talking.

share|improve this answer

Your Answer

discard

By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.