Take the 2-minute tour ×
German Language Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for speakers of German wanting to discuss the finer points of the language and translation. It's 100% free, no registration required.

How to say "please do not slam the door" in German?

I tried to translate it like this: "Bitte knall die Tür nicht zu", but there must be another way because I googled it with no result.

share|improve this question

google.de/… –  Emanuel Mar 2 '13 at 20:39
You should provide the context for this sentence. The two current answers are both correct but j0chn's is better if you talk to someone and knut's is better for a sign to be put on a door. –  musiKk Mar 2 '13 at 20:57
add comment

3 Answers

up vote 5 down vote accepted

Thats what I would say to my kids if they go mental:

Knall die Türe doch bitte nicht so zu!

If there is some adult running around slamming doors, I would try first to be a bit more polite:

Kannst du die Türe auch leise zu machen? Danke!

Which indicates to him I am a bit pissed off about his habit how he is dealing with doors.

Or even more formal if we on 'Sie' level:

Bitte machen Sie die Türe doch bitte das nächste mal ein bisschen leiser zu.
share|improve this answer
add comment

You could say it with the opposite:

Bitte die Türe leise schließen.

or shorter:

Bitte Tür leise schließen.

While this is essentially a different sentence this is what is the "common" form to say this in german. This way is more polity than the asked phrase. –  Martin Thurau Mar 3 '13 at 11:56

This "verbale Wortkette" is especially common when written on a sign. –  Matthias Meid Mar 4 '13 at 21:18
add comment

Your translation is pretty good. another example is "Bitte schlag die Tür nicht zu".
Another translation but just in context not in words: "Mach die Tür leise zu."

add comment

Your Answer

discard

By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.