Take the 2-minute tour ×
German Language Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for speakers of German wanting to discuss the finer points of the language and translation. It's 100% free, no registration required.

Anselm Grün is a prolific author. My understanding of the meaning of the book titled Die Freude wird Vollkommen sein is The Joy Will Be Complete. This book was translated into Spanish under the title La Alegria, Contra el Desconseulo de nuestro Tiempo, which I think means something like Joy against the Dispair of our time. I have looked for Anselm Grün+Joy, Anselm Grün+Happiness, but I cannot figure out what this book translated into English would be published as. Can anyone tell me?

share|improve this question
add comment

2 Answers

up vote 10 down vote accepted

I guess the title alludes to Philippians 2,2, which reads in German:

dann macht meine Freude dadurch vollkommen, dass ...

The English Standard Version has:

complete my joy by ...,

so your translation is fine.

Grün's German publisher Herder translates the title as

Joy will be perfect

(see herder.de/foreign_rights) and informs us that the Hungarian, Italian, Polish, Slovenian, Spanish (AR), Spanish (ES) rights of the book have been sold - no mention of an English translation.

share|improve this answer

Thank you. Your answer and this Herder link was helpful :) –  Canadian Girl Scout Mar 6 '13 at 21:31

@CanadianGirlScout Don't forget to accept the Answer by clicking on the green check mark :) –  Eugene Seidel Mar 7 '13 at 7:25

Hi @EugeneSeidel Thanks, I try not to accept answers before 24 hours have gone by. This way, the other half of the world also gets the chance to read the question & answer it before the green checkmark gets assigned ;) Have no fear, if no one finds a copy in English within a week or so, then I will click this answer as accepted. –  Canadian Girl Scout Mar 7 '13 at 8:12

@CanadianGirlScout: Afaik you can always reassign the check-mark later, if a better answer occurs. –  user unknown Mar 7 '13 at 8:34
Taler and Bonbon refer to the round emphasized check mark. Im Auge haben means to have in mind. We can delete it, if you like. :) –  user unknown Mar 9 '13 at 4:54
show 4 more comments

"The joy will be unflawed" (or completed) I am not sure about the context, but this seems accurate.

share|improve this answer
Welcome to German Language and Usage! Technically there is nothing wrong with your Answer but if you read through the Opening Question (OQ), the first Answer, and the comments below, I think you will agree that the Asker is looking for something more than just a guess regarding how the title might be translated. –  Eugene Seidel Mar 7 '13 at 18:53
add comment

Your Answer

discard

By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.