Take the 2-minute tour ×
German Language Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for speakers of German wanting to discuss the finer points of the language and translation. It's 100% free, no registration required.

When I first saw Pommes Frites I assumed the es would be pronounced, but it mostly seems like speakers say:

pohm freet

Rather than my initial assumption of something like:

pohm-ez freet-z

Why are the es on both words almost not pronounced?

share|improve this question
add comment

1 Answer

Pommes Frites is of French/Belgian origin and therefore pronounced (almost) as in French, with the typical German errors in speaking French. Germans pronounce either /pɔm fʀɪts/ (this is more common) or /pɔm fʀɪt/ (which is the correct French pronounciation).

Regional short forms are Pommes (pronounced /pɔməs/) and Fritten (/fʀɪtn/). In the short form

Eine Portion Pommes¹.

the ~es is often emphasized. For entertainment purposes, you might google 'Imbißdeutsch at youtube', where you find a funny video about nothern german slang.

share|improve this answer

~es is also not spoken by Germans who simply try to speak German without trying to speak French or even guessing, this were French. –  Toscho Mar 8 '13 at 6:33
@userunkown I added some pronounciation examples. Hope you don't mind. –  user1914 Mar 8 '13 at 8:50

mind googling youtube will not help –  Vogel612 Mar 8 '13 at 12:52

you still cannot google @ youtube ;) –  Vogel612 Mar 11 '13 at 14:26

ich bezog mich auf das benutzen des wortes "google". es geht darum dass nur bei google gegooglet(?) werden kann, bei youtube wird nur gesucht (obwohl es ja zu google gehört ;)) –  Vogel612 Mar 12 '13 at 12:03
show 4 more comments

Your Answer

discard

By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.