German Language Stack Exchange is a bilingual question and answer site for speakers of all levels who want to share and increase their knowledge of the German language. It's 100% free, no registration required.

Sign up
Here's how it works:
  1. Anybody can ask a question
  2. Anybody can answer
  3. The best answers are voted up and rise to the top

What is a good English phrase for "produktionsbedingter Leerraum"?

The literal meaning is "an empty space caused by production" and tells buyers that the half-empty cookie box is a feature.

share|improve this question

closed as off-topic by chirlu, Crissov, hiergiltdiestfu, boaten, Jan Feb 26 at 0:51

This question appears to be off-topic. The users who voted to close gave this specific reason:

If this question can be reworded to fit the rules in the help center, please edit the question.

The above is a common printed phrase, very likely with legal implications like "Serviervorschlag". – Phira May 30 '11 at 16:02
This and the answers remind me of the classic this page intentionally left blank. – OregonGhost May 30 '11 at 16:31
Shouldn't this question belong to English.SE? – swegi May 30 '11 at 16:38
English.SE does not want translation questions. – Phira May 30 '11 at 17:23
nocookies status-bydesign – Pekka 웃 May 30 '11 at 21:48
up vote 6 down vote accepted

The technical term in the US is "slack-fill", however consumers aren't likely to know what this means. (In terms of potato chips and other vacuum-packed goods, this is also called "headspace"):

Slack-fill is the difference between the actual capacity of a container and the volume of product contained therein.

In order to explain this concept to consumers, you'd probably need to resort to a more descriptive sentence instead of a technical term. The other answers have provided some suggestions, although they do feel somewhat clumsy.

My additional suggestion: Product packed with empty space for transportation.

share|improve this answer

Such a thing doesn't appear written very often, and translating compound words tends to always produce clumsy results.

I would propose either

Free space from manufacturing

(short for "free space resulting from the manufacturing process")


Manufactured free space

As a label, perhaps

Space left free by design

would work.

share|improve this answer
I like the last of your three proposals. How about "please excuse unavoidable void"? j/k – Eugene Seidel Jun 23 '13 at 8:20

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.